Let's Talk Nice About Our Roosters!

Pics

BeccaDoe

Songster
Jun 19, 2019
Aylett, VA
Hi all! I'm relatively new here and I just was told by a few of y'all that my Dorothy is a cockerel, not a pullet. This has, quite frankly, put me in a highly anxious state as I have read here and there on this forum all about roosters. The general idea is that they are mean, mean, mean. ESPECIALLY if you raise them with pettings and love.

So I want to hear about experiences with happy, friendly roosters! I want stories about how they came to be that way. And I'd rather not hear about the "hard truth" about "coddling them into dominating" because I need to hear that that doesn't always happen. Please be kind. Tough love isn't always welcome.

I love my Dot and don't want to see that side of her-er, him, so after reading them mean stories, I'm terrified and depressed. So let's hear some happy things about your boys!

Here's my Dorothy, who will remain Dorothy

20190729_184455.jpg

Last edited:
I have had 50+ roosters. One of them, a bantam with a heart problem, was of the sort that I could remain quite hands-on with. He was an absolute darling for the time that I had him. He got fed cotton candy by children, joined picnics, and was part of the welcome wagon for visitors to the property. He sat on my arm quite a bit and would ride around the property with me, crowing occasionally. He was different and special. This was him as a cockerel. Remember too that hardly anyone posts about success stories. It's the disasters that get air time.
P1170477.JPG

I think there are a few ways to raise friendly, docile roosters, but you've also made it pretty clear you want stories, not advice, so I'll do my best to hold my tongue. I apologize in advance if I don't manage it. :lol:

I intentionally ordered a cockerel chick as I wanted a rooster and I chose the Salmon Faverolles. He was named Fabio. When he was little he would sit in my or DHs lap and allow you to pet him.
When he turned 14 weeks old, the change began. He pecked my foot, hard, because one of the pullets had jumped up onto the arm of my chair and I fed her. Shame on me.
I work with my flock far more than DH so my little guy started seeing me as a threat to his girls. That is how things usually start to go downhill with the males.
When work started in his territory building my new coop, it got downright ugly with near daily floggings.
I still have my boy. I like him lots even if he doesn't like me. I have learned to modify my behavior around my flock to keep the peace. I read this article and it helped me greatly to understand him better. I even included his story in my Coop Page article to try to influence others that even a naughty boy can be turned around. He is a great rooster and I will be keeping him until he dies here. He is anything but a cuddly boy. But someday he may like me again and enjoy me grooming him. That is my goal.
I recommend you read the article and others with the same tone to better understand your boy. Good luck with him.
Fabio crowing.jpg

And he is now a daddy
IMG_20190727_161256159.jpg

Many moons ago.....

We had a bantam red cochin rooster....I know I know a docile breed by nature. :rolleyes:

I don't think we did anything special to make him kind...he just was.

My son was 9 at the time. He liked that little rooster with his unique crowing. Many times I would see him walking around the yard with Scooter riding on his shoulder like a parrot.

My son was "saving him from all the big hens". :gig

He was a sweet gentle little guy and definitely the absolute favorite bird in the flock. Yes he did regular rooster things like keeping an eye out for flying dangers. Those big black Australorp certainly listened when he did a warning call.

One incident that I will never forget...
I was in the coop cleaning. A bantam black cochin was broody in the corner. She came screaming off the best to stand on my shoes and shriek. There was a 5' snake that came up under her.
Scooter was first one in and he was MAD. He called (not sure what he said) and 36 big hens came flying/running into the coop. That snake didn't stand a chance.
It was amazing to watch.
All I could do was hold tiny India and stay out of the way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom