Let's talk "relocation"

If this conversation is serious. Then take it to your legislatures.

Otherwise you simply polarizing in a manner that is counter productive and likely to promote parties doing what is not smart.

Good discussion here, thanks.  I get calls from sweet people wanting to find baby raccoon raisers, and fortunately there aren't any in the area any more!  Yes!  I offer to humanely euthanize any that they have, not popular, but the right choice.  Mary

Hey that is really cool of you to do that.... Sometimes a person just might not KNOW what they are actually doing to an animal when they relocate(and feel they have no options)... Hats off to you! :)

Last edited:

Otherwise you simply polarizing in a manner that is counter productive and likely to promote parties doing what is not smart.

I'm sorry, did I read that right? EDUCATION is COUNTERproductive?...

I'm sorry, I disagree. I think people NEED to see this stuff, not bury heads in sand... Just my opinion, could be wrong, ....but usually educating leads to less ignorance.... ;)

Legislatures are too busy fulfilling their debt to lobbyists. It is clear that past mistakes and eco-problems (both economic and ecological) spurred existing regulations. Educating the public and government departments is imperative.

Thank you @shortgrass for this thread. That doesn't mean I agree with everything that has been said here because at the end of the day I have to live with my conscience. My conscience sometimes overrides government rules. I don't believe in killing innocent animals just because someone made a rule, regardless of the justification. I think general rules and guidelines are made when there are too many exceptions to list. Officials don't trust the knowledge base of their constituents, so they make rules to tell you what to do. I don't agree that the rule applies in every case.

For example, we recently had a Wildlife Protections Officer suspended for NOT killing an orphaned baby black bear cub. It wasn't in him to kill this innocent baby so he found a Wild Life Sanctuary who was elated to receive the cub. This got him suspended from work for not "following the rules" and yet he became a Wildlife Officer to protect Wildlife.

I am just saying there are very good reasons for not relocating an animal but there are times when life should be allowed to live because we didn't create it ...... we only created the problem.

Last edited:
I think it is not a bad idea to have people post what the regulations are in their area.
There are a lot of people that do not think it through before driving to the country and dumping dogs, cats, and other assorted domesticated animals that cannot fend for themselves. I think the same goes for wildlife that ends up in traps. People just don't always think it through.
Questions that one should ask themselves before dumping a wild animal in another county ......

1. Will this animal be able to survive in this area? (Food source, water, shelter etc)
2. Will the farmer/rancher I am dumping this off on be as gentle hearted as I am and not kill it for killing HIS chickens?
3. Is this critter going to be exposed to rabies or the plague here or is it possibly bringing a disease here?

The list could be very long but I will stop there with those 3 most important IMO ones.

If you are trapping an animal for the threat it poses your own livestock or pets and you cannot kill it, it is unfair to both the animal and the farmers/ranchers to drop it off at the edge of some random corn field.

I'm sorry, did I read that right? EDUCATION is COUNTERproductive?...

I'm sorry, I disagree. I think people NEED to see this stuff, not bury heads in sand... Just my opinion, could be wrong, ....but usually educating leads to less ignorance.... ;)

No you did not read correctly as I did not write that.

Most of your discussion is about challenging an imperfect set of rules that ideally gets your input. If you go the route of giving up on democracy then the fat cats will definitely have more say. Talk to your reps. If it has to start here then so be it, but do so in a manner that involves more than cutting and pasting legal code then making wise cracks about it. And have some focus. Thread is jumping around between pest management and wildlife management as a whole and even exotics.

No you did not read correctly as I did not write that.

Most of your discussion is about challenging an imperfect set of rules that ideally gets your input. If you go the route of giving up on democracy then the fat cats will definitely have more say. Talk to your reps. If it has to start here then so be it, but do so in a manner that involves more than cutting and pasting legal code then making wise cracks about it. And have some focus. Thread is jumping around between pest management and wildlife management as a whole and even exotics.

Wow... You're reading a LOT more into this than I'm even asking!

I'm just curious. I want to KNOW these things. I'm not writing to any democratic what have you, etc etc etc...

I want to know what the different laws are. I'm curious. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thank you to everyone else; I am actually ENJOYING this discussion...I'm LEARNING a lot, and appreciate it :)

"Wise cracks" aside, I also do not condone the killing of innocent animals. (I do however, cull forcdisease in my herd and flocks)I am actually what someone in here already referred to...a "tree hugger"? It was a different term lol.... I am also part of an ecosystem, and as the top predator, I have responsibility to make sure my " domain" is plentiful and healthy. Tgat means a HEALTHY partnership of predator/prey...Symbiotic relationships, its all connected.

So when a "law" is made, consideration is taken to the "people" in that "area".... Doesn't mean that government officials have great decision making skills, but kst times these laws are in place to protect the WHOLE system, albeit, greed can make man first. I can cite millions of instances where populations of PEOPLE were eradicated for being the wrong color, or in the wrong place.

I'm simply sharing information. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
I too am in Colorado. I was told by the division of wildlife that animals such as fox or raccoon caught in a live trap could NOT be relocated due to the risk of rabies going with them or them going to where rabies is and getting it.

Ethical to relocate an animal into an area that is possibly infected with rabies? I don't think so.
Legal to relocate them? Not where I live.

The great tumble weed was imported to this country as well. Now whole towns are buried in it every year.

Whereabouts are you? That sums it up for us, huh?

Not ethical to dump a diseased animal in a healthy area, and not legal for the SAME reason....

I can't help but think of the prarie dogs here... Protected... Bubonic plague...now they want us to contain them.... I have cattle breaking legs in holes forca giant rat. That has the plague. That they accidentally under counted? It smells hinky, and its not the feedlot...

Legislatures are too busy fulfilling their debt to lobbyists.  It is clear that past mistakes and eco-problems (both economic and ecological) spurred existing regulations.  Educating the public and government departments is imperative. 

Thank you @shortgrass
 for this thread.  That doesn't mean I agree with everything that has been said here because at the end of the day I have to live with my conscience.  My conscience sometimes overrides government rules.  I don't believe in killing innocent animals just because someone made a rule, regardless of the justification.  I think general rules and guidelines are made when there are too many exceptions to list.  Officials don't trust the knowledge base of their constituents, so they make rules to  tell you what to do.  I don't agree that the rule applies in every case.

For example, we recently had a Wildlife Protections Officer suspended for NOT killing an orphaned baby black bear cub.  It wasn't in him to kill this innocent baby so he found a Wild Life Sanctuary who was elated to receive the cub.  This got him suspended from work for not "following the rules" and yet he became a Wildlife Officer to protect Wildlife.

I am just saying there are very good reasons for not relocating an animal but there are times when life should be allowed to live because we didn't create it ...... we only created the problem.

That last paragraph sums up how I feel too... I didnt WANT to kill those baby coons this spring; they weren't hurting anything... I feel bad for the rabbit I shot too... I don't waste the meat though, and I hunt... I have to survive just likevtheyvdo, but I don't have to kill them.

Butvguven a choice between a possibly a rabid coon getting shot, and her babies... Over setting up all the coyotes, coons, foxes, prarie dogs, my own pets, up to possibly myself, with rabies... I had to.

Back
Top Bottom