Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

Little Annie just started doing this today. Thanks for all the suggestions. Hope this helps!

I am so sorry for your losses!!! It is still devastating to me when I lose a chicken! They are my pets and I get very attached :-( Maybe you might find your rooster. I know someone who lost a hen for a week and they found her. She had gotten stuck under their tool shed and couldn't get out. For some reason she never made any noises. Somehow they found her and she was ok. Usually predator attacks like hawk, fox or dog you will find feathers. Good luck!
Well my girl is still the same. I have to feed her and make sure she gets water. I'm just going to wait it out because everyone says it takes a while to recover.

It's so comforting to come here and know that there are like-minded people who understand that losing an animal (even if it's "just a chicken") is not just losing a pet, it's like losing a member of the family
hit.gif

It has been 2 weeks now since we lost the rooster. We live on quite a large plot of land and have combed the area pretty thoroughly so am almost certain at this point that he more than likely got taken by some predator. The biggest mystery about it is how it was done without leaving any trace/ feathers whatsoever
sad.png
I do wish that there were feathers or that we had found his body, then at least we know for sure and can get closure...

How's your girl doing?

How do you guys feed them. I cant seem to get her beak open. I have been trying to give electrolites and the vit e selenium and poly visol. But how do I know she is getting any? She doesnt eat on her own.

I used a
How do you guys feed them. I cant seem to get her beak open. I have been trying to give electrolites and the vit e selenium and poly visol. But how do I know she is getting any? She doesnt eat on her own.
I used a small ramikin to mix water an the vitamins and fed with an eye dropper. I also used another same sized ramikin to make wet feed. It's just feed with water so it resembles oatmeal. They will get hungry and take huge chunks out. Hold their neck an assist. Sometime they will be fine during feeding an then go right back into wry neck.

Soule72- so sorry to hear about your chick! Hopefully everyone else will be ok.

It's so comforting to come here and know that there are like-minded people who understand that losing an animal (even if it's "just a chicken") is not just losing a pet, it's like losing a member of the family:hit

It has been 2 weeks now since we lost the rooster.  We live on quite a large plot of land and have combed the area pretty thoroughly so am almost certain at this point that he more than likely got taken by some predator.  The biggest mystery about it is how it was done without leaving any trace/ feathers whatsoever :( I do wish that there were feathers or that we had found his body, then at least we know for sure and can get closure...

How's your girl doing?
I was so hoping you would find your rooster! I totally agree on the like minded people here. I get very attached to my birds and it's good to talk to people that feel the same!! It is very strange, every time I have lost one to a predator there has been lots of feathers. One time my daughter forget to shut the back door to my coop and I am pretty sure it was a fox that carried off of one of my hens. Never found her but there were lots of feathers :-(
My girl is the same. It's going on a month and it is not easy trying to make sure she gets plenty of food and water. I really need to make her a neck brace. I have looked every where to try and get ideas on how to create something that would support her neck so maybe she could eat and drink on her own. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!!

My Dora has wry neck. She is in my house and i am trying to save her. I haven't gone to the vet yet for the prednisone as i was trying the vit e and selenium, tumeric tea etc.. She went from being dropper fed to i can hold her head up and put the food cup under her beak and she eats a little on her own..
Does anyone have a picture of a foam neck brace that they made ?

Back
Top Bottom