Letting broody hen hatch eggs

I’m letting my broody hen hatch eggs. Two days ago I had the first egg hatch on day 18 now it’s day 21 there’s no pip or moving I’m wondering this late can I candle them to see if any of them are viable or do I wait till day 26?
Yes you can candle them. I wouldn't wait until day 26 in case they are rotten and may explode, but should be fine to wait until tonight. Your broody won't be as upset that you are removing her eggs since she can't see well in the dark, and it will do no harm to any viable chicks when you quickly remove and candle them, then replace any viable eggs. Day 18 is very early for a chick to hatch under a broody, but I've had some hatch on day 19, and many that hatched on day 20. It's not promising that none have at least pipped on day 21, but waiting until tonight will give more time for any viable chicks to do so.

Yes you can candle them. I wouldn't wait until day 26 in case they are rotten and may explode, but should be fine to wait until tonight. Your broody won't be as upset that you are removing her eggs since she can't see well in the dark, and it will do no harm to any viable chicks when you quickly remove and candle them, then replace any viable eggs. Day 18 is very early for a chick to hatch under a broody, but I've had some hatch on day 19, and many that hatched on day 20. It's not promising that none have at least pipped on day 21, but waiting until tonight will give more time for any viable chicks to do so.
So I just had a chick hatch while I was at work. Have three left they feel heavier than a normal egg just scared to candle cause I’m a cluts and the last time I tried to candle I broke the egg 🥴. Will she kick the egg out if she sense that it isn’t viable? I’ve heard hens do this not sure if it’s true or not

So I just had a chick hatch while I was at work. Have three left they feel heavier than a normal egg just scared to candle cause I’m a cluts and the last time I tried to candle I broke the egg 🥴. Will she kick the egg out if she sense that it isn’t viable? I’ve heard hens do this not sure if it’s true or not
I've never had a broody kick an egg out, but someone may respond who has seen that happen. Now that your broody has a chick, she will leave the remaining eggs within the next 24-48 hours to care for her chick, whether they are viable or not. At this point, if you don't feel comfortable candling the other eggs, it's OK to wait it out. Let us know if more eggs hatch!

I've never had a broody kick an egg out, but someone may respond who has seen that happen. Now that your broody has a chick, she will leave the remaining eggs within the next 24-48 hours to care for her chick, whether they are viable or not. At this point, if you don't feel comfortable candling the other eggs, it's OK to wait it out. Let us know if more eggs hatch!
I will!

Back
Top Bottom