Letting them set...

Rounsville83

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Upstate NY
So I had no luck with eggs the first time I tried to incubate them, not sure why , could've been a million reasons. So the wife and I talked it over and decided, why not let the girls do the job for us. So here is what I did...

5/10/20 - I left a couple marble eggs in a couple of the nesting boxes ( some of my girls act a little broody already, but wanted to reinforce it)
5/13/20 - Instead of collecting the eggs this morning I marked each one with a #1 and left them with the marble eggs.
5/14/20 - Instead of collecting I marked all the new eggs with a 2 and split the 1's and 2's into 2 separate nests. Also removed the marble eggs.
5/15/20 - I started collecting eggs again. Leaving the 1's and 2's under the hens.

My plan is to take 1 of each number and candle them in a week or so to check progress. and hopefully update everyone in a couple more weeks with pics of chicks.

So I had no luck with eggs the first time I tried to incubate them, not sure why , could've been a million reasons. So the wife and I talked it over and decided, why not let the girls do the job for us. So here is what I did...

5/10/20 - I left a couple marble eggs in a couple of the nesting boxes ( some of my girls act a little broody already, but wanted to reinforce it)
5/13/20 - Instead of collecting the eggs this morning I marked each one with a #1 and left them with the marble eggs.
5/14/20 - Instead of collecting I marked all the new eggs with a 2 and split the 1's and 2's into 2 separate nests. Also removed the marble eggs.
5/15/20 - I started collecting eggs again. Leaving the 1's and 2's under the hens.

My plan is to take 1 of each number and candle them in a week or so to check progress. and hopefully update everyone in a couple more weeks with pics of chicks.
How old are the hens?
Are they staying on the nests?
Are the nests on the ground or are they were the others are laying?

The hens are about 10 months old . Yup there are hens staying on those nests... they are on the ground and yes they are where other hens are laying
If you leave them there, you need to check the nests every day and remove new eggs. Your hens are actually pullets. Be prepared if they quit being broody. That is not uncommon in young birds. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom