LIFE Expectancy: Age of Laying hens when they pass

What breed? When/if did she stop laying? No on the Wyandotte. Mine was a Whiting True Blue
Breed has no bearing on life expectancy, but most older hens hit henopause around 4 and generally stop laying but keep kicking. My 9 year old still laid an egg or two a week. Chickens are individuals. Theres no magical long living breed.

I definitely do think that breed plays a big role. As @pipdzipdnreadytogo said, chickens that are bred for high production meat and eggs aren't gonna live quite as long as, let's say, a heritage breed would.

So many factors effect longevity in chickens from breed, genetics, stress levels, feed, water, etc... of course how well they have been cared for. I've lost a few before the age of 4 and several make it to 12+ years of age. The older crowd generally stopped laying regularly by the age of 6, birds that were broody most of their lives laid a bit longer into old age.

I recently had a 4.5 year hen pass and FWC of Florida indicated that a 4.5 year old hen is like a 100 year old human with roughly 5 different old age chicken diseases. This website has a Google link that shows very long lifespans for chickens..
chickensandmore.com Article "how long do chickens live". Anyone Googling "how long do chickens live gets this ridiculous life expectancy chart. Can our members please help with more realistic data?
12 years old for free range bantams. 10 years old for free range dual purpose breeds.

It all depends on the genetics of the bird. I have a few (though less and less every few months) that are over 8, two that are at least 10. Most of mine start fading between 2 and 5, especially broodies. They tend to become worse and worse with motherhood as they age. I've started just calling it dementia, since they do great when all they have to do is sit. Once they have chicks however, they don't know how to care for and keep them alive and I almost always lose that final clutch I let them hatch. After that, I don't let them keep any chicks that hatch in later batches

I recently had a 4.5 year hen pass and FWC of Florida indicated that a 4.5 year old hen is like a 100 year old human with roughly 5 different old age chicken diseases. This website has a Google link that shows very long lifespans for chickens..
chickensandmore.com Article "how long do chickens live". Anyone Googling "how long do chickens live gets this ridiculous life expectancy chart. Can our members please help with more realistic data?
I have 2 hens, a barred rock and an Australorp that are both going on 7 and still laying almost everyday February through November. They have survived beyond the rest of their flock, that were taken by predators and one by poisoning. 2 years, my Barred Rock, Sesame almost died. We suspected Botulism from the compost pile. We had an Australorp that dropped dead at the same time, but she's a tough bird. We nursed her back to health, hand feeding and watering her and giving her shots. She is now super healthy. After she recovered I started adding Poultry Boost to their feed. Wow what a difference that has made! They are so healthy, healthier looking combs, feathers and increased egg laying. They free range 6 - 8 hours a day. I expect them to live for several more years.

I have 2 hens, a barred rock and an Australorp that are both going on 7 and still laying almost everyday February through November. They have survived beyond the rest of their flock, that were taken by predators and one by poisoning. 2 years, my Barred Rock, Sesame almost died. We suspected Botulism from the compost pile. We had an Australorp that dropped dead at the same time, but she's a tough bird. We nursed her back to health, hand feeding and watering her and giving her shots. She is now super healthy. After she recovered I started adding Poultry Boost to their feed. Wow what a difference that has made! They are so healthy, healthier looking combs, feathers and increased egg laying. They free range 6 - 8 hours a day. I expect them to live for several more years.
You are incredible! Here's to you and your Girls! I guess, 😅 Happy Mother's Day!

I have a 13 year old, a 12 year old, an 11 year old, and several 8-10 year olds in my mixed flock. Treating birds well helps, I pride myself in the care of my birds, but that is not the long and short of it. I've had birds that only lived to be 1-2 years old as well. Birds bred for high production of either eggs or meat generally have shorter lifespans no matter how well you treat them. And, of course, if your flock free-ranges, then your local predator population might make a difference in how long your birds live. More often than not, though, chickens die of miscellaneous ailments long before they die of old age, at least in my experience.
You rock! I'd say, Happy 😁 Mother's Day to you and your girls 💗

Back
Top Bottom