lifeskills project

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
Anyone reading jillschicks messages will see this at the bottom of each "raising chickens as a lifeskills project for a child with disabilities".

As all should know my wife works in a hospital but with alzheimer patients. Every Sunday she takes four baby chicks to work with her. Most of the patients don't recognize their spouse of many years or their children. Yet, when they see a baby chick the eyes light up, a smile shows on the face and they want to hold the chick.

It would amaze you to see what a small chick will do for a child and/or old.

If anyone ever gets the chance to take a few chicks to a hospital, please do.

I used to take my parrots to the childrens hospital and nursing homes. Had one older gent that spent the whole evening just petting a bird. I found out later the nurses where in shock as he was always violent. Amazing what an animal can do.

panner123,

You've given me an idea. Our school has hired a counselling center to work with children with emotional troubles. Many of these children are my students during the school year. Maybe this summer we could work out something with chickens. Hmmmmm Something to check out.

jackie

Quote:
The hospital ( care center) where my wife works has a love bird, a rabbit and a guinea pig in the activity department. Many people bring in other types of animals. You must remember these older people (80 plus) frew up on farms. The thing that goes first is the short term memory, whereas the long term memory is still working.

i think it is a excellent idea of taking animals into hospitals they are very theraputic i think it is the best alternative medicine there is

My wife is a teacher in a preschool daycare. She told me that she wanted me to build another incubator for her class so they could watch some eggs hatch.

Hi, All! I just happened to stumble on this post and am so excited to read these wonderful stories. I have another thread going in the general topics. (I think) about uncooperative husbands, and in it I talk a little about Jill's disabilities and how she and a friend's chickens really hit it off. In Country magazine awhile back there was an article about a husband who was so distressed that his wife's physical and mental health were collapsing as she aged. One day he brought home chickens and their whole life changed! The wife came out of her depressive state and their marriage was restored. So wonderful. I can't wait to get our chicks! Ann of JillsChicks

Back
Top Bottom