Lifespan RSL

Hi everyone, does anyone know the typical lifespan of a red sex link hen? I know they tend to live shorter lives, but I'm wondering typical lifespan for one that has been raised in a small flock with excellent food/water, free ranging, etc. - if that might lengthen their life? My RSL will be three in March. Thank you.

We got ours almost 13 years ago and lost our oldest one about 5-4 years ago.

Nowadays I think they're more commonly passing around 3 or 4 years old
Thank you! Why do you suppose they live shorter lives these days compared to when you first got yours?

I love my RSL- she is the most friendly and trusting of my hens. It will be hard to lose her when the time comes.

Thank you! Why do you suppose they live shorter lives these days compared to when you first got yours?

I love my RSL- she is the most friendly and trusting of my hens. It will be hard to lose her when the time comes.
Likely poor genetics. Hatchery don't keep their parent stock more than like 2 years now, so there aren't longer living birds laying eggs as much. Everything is geared more towards faster reproduction in the first year or so now

I try and just be glad for having them today, and adding them to a chick order if I am going to make one in the spring, so that I always have them in the flock. I think wishing for long lived birds of this breeding leads to terrible disappointment and guilt if it doesn't work out.
Give your hens a good life, and when they die is in the cards. Good food, clean water, protection and shelter is pretty much what we all do...

Mrs K

I have a 4 year old one, but most don’t make it that long. They live a good life here & work well with my chicken goals, I like my reds.

Mine are not from a hatchery, but a local breeder who crosses a white rock hen with a RIR male.

I have a 4 year old one, but most don’t make it that long. They live a good life here & work well with my chicken goals, I like my reds.

Mine are not from a hatchery, but a local breeder who crosses a white rock hen with a RIR male.
Wow,,,I had no idea thier lifespan of RSL is so short,,they're the most prolific layers of large eggs I've ever had, perhaps better than GC and eggs are bigger than RIR,another prolific layer,,,

Very few chickens come from older parents, so there's no selection for longevity in most cases. Many hens will be sick/ dying by age three, and it's really sad. Our oldest ever were ten year of age, although there are people who have birds in their teens. I think @troyer, who raises Cubalayas, said that some of this breed type can get very old, although we've never had them here.
Currently we have a couple of almost six year old hens. We free range when possible, and losses due to predation are a factor too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom