Light Brahma, 10 weeks, Sex?

Cade S

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
Prince George County, Virginia
Hey folks,

1 of my 8 chicks (supposedly all pullets) has had a red comb and waddles since about 7.5 weeks and is also much taller and larger than my other light brahmas. The other 7 have small, barely raised, salmon colored combs and are just barely getting their waddles 2.5 weeks later.

Other than that I'm struggling to find differences between this one and the others. I know brahma chickens can be difficult to sex until they are older, what should I be looking for? If there is something that sticks out in these photos, can you tell me which photo (I numbered them) and share what sticks out to you or where I should be looking as they develop?

Thank you!

Photo 1:
20230524120805_IMG_1941.jpg

Comparison 1:
Chick in question:
Photo 2a:
20230524121658_IMG_1998.JPG

1 of the 7 that look the same:
Photo 2B:
20230524121513_IMG_1987.JPG

Comparison 2:
Tried to get a good shot of the face:
Photo 3a:

20230524121647_IMG_1996.JPG

The below chick was not thrilled with the sound the camera made, so she's a little fluffier than normal:
Photos 3b:
20230524121642_IMG_1995.JPG

Photo of the back of his head
Photo 4:
20230524121429_IMG_1983.JPG

From the Brahmas I've seen, his wattles are almost as big as a mature hen's- so as said above- you've got a cockerel. Really pretty, healthy looking flock. Brahmas are on my future flock list- but their feathered feet might be a mess here in the PNW during the rainy months!

From the Brahmas I've seen, his wattles are almost as big as a mature hen's- so as said above- you've got a cockerel. Really pretty, healthy looking flock. Brahmas are on my future flock list- but their feathered feet might be a mess here in the PNW during the rainy months!
There is no more true of an assessment about the feathered feet here in Oregon. They get to be a huge mess.

Thank you! Brahmas are beautiful and I was so excited to find them local. We get a lot of rain (Southeast VA) and have 2/3rds of our run covered and they seem to stick to the dry parts or their coop when it's rainy/wet. I'll probably cover the rest of their run and keep them in when it's rainy.

Back
Top Bottom