Light brahma with arthritis

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Looking for ideas here, gang. I've got an 8-pound light brahma hen who's had a sore hip/leg for several years. As she has gotten older, she is sitting more, and now sleeping regularly in the pine shavings at night -- something she used to do just in the winter. She'll get up and walk around a bit during the day, will dustbathe, hang with the flock, eats and drinks, pecks and scratches a little, looks beautiful. Mostly, though, she sits. I don't know if she'll resume laying this spring as she'll be 7 in June.

She's been to the vet -- we tried this thing called an Assisi Loop (electromagnetic) that didn't really seem to work, and a cold laser treatment, which did seem to help, but I'm not up for hauling my old hen to the vet for regular cold laser treatments. She gets a half-tab of Meloxicam (7.5 mg) twice a day; it's a high dose, but she tolerates it well. I'm not sure how much it's helping, but figure it might give her some relief from inflammation and any pain.

She's developing a little bit of a tender (not open) spot beneath her vent from sitting so much. What would be good to put on that, if anything? Biocaine? A&D ointment? Is there something other than pine shavings she might sleep on that is less likely to irritate her bum but won't hold wet poop up against it? I don't want to force her to roost; she could fall overnight, and in any case, I would need to set her up there and take her down every morning.

She's a big old girl and I know her days are numbered, but I'd like her to be as active as possible for as long as she has. Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi,

Does she sleep in the same spot each night? If so I would put piece of 2x6 there for her to sit on so there would be a gap for the poop to fall in to. I would use diaper rash ointment with zinc to heal the tender spot and create a barrier to protect it.

Hi,

Does she sleep in the same spot each night? If so I would put piece of 2x6 there for her to sit on so there would be a gap for the poop to fall in to. I would use diaper rash ointment with zinc to heal the tender spot and create a barrier to protect it.
Thank you for responding. She does sleep in the same spot each night, a protected corner near the nest boxes. I understand the 2X6 piece but can't visualize "the gap." She may also move off of it into adjacent pine shavings, but your suggestion is worth a try. I didn't know diaper rash ointment came with zinc! I've just got the old-fashioned A&D.

Hi,

I was thinking you could position a section of 2x6 or 2 2x4's, in her corner but not flush with the wall. Maybe 4 inches away from the wall and corner to allow space for her tail. Hopefully she would sleep on the boards and then be elevated enough off the floor that she wouldn't be laying in her poop. Or you might be able to make it a little bit higher. I was just thinking if she had a little platform she could easily step onto it might help.

The A&D should be fine. I just know from using it on myself that the Desitin or Aquaphor for baby rash ( The white stuff) makes a nice barrier that stays on.

Hi,

I was thinking you could position a section of 2x6 or 2 2x4's, in her corner but not flush with the wall. Maybe 4 inches away from the wall and corner to allow space for her tail. Hopefully she would sleep on the boards and then be elevated enough off the floor that she wouldn't be laying in her poop. Or you might be able to make it a little bit higher. I was just thinking if she had a little platform she could easily step onto it might help.

The A&D should be fine. I just know from using it on myself that the Desitin or Aquaphor for baby rash ( The white stuff) makes a nice barrier that stays on.
Ah, I see. Might work! Thanks for giving this some thought and sharing your idea. I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom