Light bulb for teenage chickens' first night in coop

whillergee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
Oakland, CA
I just moved my four older girls into the coop today - yay!!
yippiechickie.gif
My husband put the final touches on the coop, we spread around the bedding, installed food and water and let the girls loose! We have a light fixture for a smallish bulb (like a small reflector for a heat lamp) hanging over the roosting area, but I haven't got a bulb in it yet. I'm thinking about a low-watt dim bulb for the nighttimes, but I'm wondering: should I put a bulb in there for heat at first? The girls are 7 weeks, and the nighttime temps are forecast to be around 49 - 50 degrees (daytime in the 70s). Should I run out and get a bulb? 100 watt? Red?

Later on, should I have a dim bulb in there all the time at night, like a nightlight? I hear that they're more able to defend themselves if a predator somehow breaks in (God forbid) if there's even a little light, but if it's pitch dark they're kind of in a stupor.

Just because I'm proud of the work my husband did, here's a pic of the coop from outside:

45107_img_1145.jpg

For me it would depend on what they're use to at night? If they're use to 70 or 75 degree nights, then I'd put a low wattage bulb out there (above the roost) for another week or so, maybe moving it a little further from them each night. They'd probably be fine without a light, but I like weaning any animal off something they're use to rather than a sudden change. I would get a red bulb...they sell them in pet stores as low as 40W or so. But if they've been down to 60 or so at night in the house (or wherever you've been keeping them), then 50 woudn't be a big shock.
My girls are older, and I do have just a general use (maybe 4w?) nightlight in my coop. I've read that a light in your coop repels potential predators. Plus, like you, I think of my birds being helpless in the dark. Also, I do keep a feeder and waterer in my coop, so if one of them was desperate for a drink, she could get one (although it's pretty dim in there).

BTW...your DH did a nice job...your coop looks great!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice - for tonight I put in a 40w bulb that we had lying around the house, and I'll give them a nightlight later. They all came swarming over to see me when I went up to turn on the light, so I guess they've already identified me as the Bringer of Good Things!

Secure your light extra extra secure...many a coop fire has been started from a heat lamp falling to the bedding floor.

I think that temps in CA right now are fine. If all your chickens are fully feathered, they should be ok. Chickens are like pillows with legs.

Nice coop, more pics please,

Hugh

I'm in so. cal. and have my pullets in the garage. I have heat lamps on them just because I have a couple that are developing much, much slower and aren't as feathered out as the others. Temps have been around 52 at night. I turn the lamps off in the day because the temps have been in the high 60's-low 70's. If they were all feathered out I wouldn't worry about it though.

Your husband did a beautiful job on the coop. Yes! More pictures!! I'm still working on my coop so I like to get ideas from everyone here
wink.png

Here are a couple more coop images - we (well, "he") basically repurposed our son's playhouse into a coop. I'm not sure how the nest boxes will work ultimately, but we'll kind of learn as we go. I'll tell him you guys think he did a good job - naturally, I do!

45107_img_1063.jpg

Another view from the outside, and you can see the hatch for collecting all those eggs we're planning on having later in the summer...

45107_img_1034.jpg

This is a corner where the roosts are. The lamp is hung at the top of this area and the cord is secured in multiple places along the roof over to the plug, so I feel pretty secure about it.

45107_img_1141.jpg

Actually this is a better view of the roosts and the light.

45107_img_1152.jpg

These are the girls getting used to the new digs. The nest boxes are on the side there, and are only halfway filled up with pine shavings. We basically have one long nest box arrangement, and we're planning on filling up the rest of it with hay sooner or later. Are there other materials the ladies like to build nests with?

Thanks for all the comments and help!

You do not need heat for seven week old chicks in California that is for sure. I am not sure I would supplement their light during the summer months, no real reason for it.

We converted our kids playhouse to coop too, it is a perfect use for an outdated out-building (check out my page).

I have a couple more pics of my dad and I building our playhouse back in the early 90's (I was much younger then...)

--Hugh

Depending where you are in CA, you might still have cool nights. If they are well feathered, a gradual raising of the heat lamp till they don't need it is better than a sudden cessation of heat. I also used a timer and a night light for the first couple of weeks. I had the night light come on shortly before dark, then had it go off 1/2 hour after dark. I figured this gave them some light to find the roost to settle in for the night before it got too dark. If they are not used to roosting at night, they might be "stranded" on the ground when darkeness hits. (of course, sleeping in the cozy shavings for the night would be no hardship:p) Isn't it great to be able to repurpose those clubhouses? Ours was 6' in the air on the west side of our house. Hubby and kids chopped it down, moved with truck and trailer, and repositioned it on the east side only 2 feet up. That little 8x8 clubhouse is now a cozy home to 13 chickens!
31803_054.jpg

31803_150.jpg

Back
Top Bottom