light in coop?

My question is, when should I turn this off so my girls have a chance to rest and molt? How long a break do they need? 6 weeks? 2 months? I dont want to go without eggs any longer than I have to, but I do feel that my girls deserve a break from egg laying.

According to the Univ of Oregon if you cut the lights for six weeks in the winter you can force them to molt during that period - which is recommended.​

I was going to ask this same question...I suddenly stopped getting eggs. I haven't had eggs since of all days, 9-11. I usually only get 2 or 3 a week because the only one laying is the Cochin, but I am waiting on eggs and nothing. Someone said I needed a light...how long do you keep it on for, the same as fox crossings question.

Quote:
do your chickens free range? I thought some of my chickens hadnt started to lay, or had stopped. Then we move a car that was on the property and found this
100_0010-15.jpg

we do egg hunts on our property each day....and still I am sure I am not finding them all. I only find about 8-10 eggs a day our of 19 chickens

They have an enclosed run. The Cochin, Cheese, usually would squawk for hours and attack everyone else before she would lay her eggs. She isn't interested in neither. Could it be the light or could it be that she is stopping for the upcoming winter?

ScottK wrote:

According to the Univ of Oregon if you cut the lights for six weeks in the winter you can force them to molt during that period - which is recommended.

Is there a link for this? I would be interested in reading more about it.

Here is the link: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw565/

And
here is a link to the relevant catalog with some other good articles: http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/details.php?sortnum=0168&name=Poultry+and+Rabbits

Scott

ps
- sorry, it was not Univ or Oregon, but rather Pacific Northwest Univ via Oregon State Univ Extension. Follow the links - it is hard to navigate.​

Last edited:
My chickens lay all winter long without light supplement...and we have some pretty short days here in the mountains! They may slow down, but only a little, but they never stop~always enough eggs for family consumption here.

Also helps if one has layer breeds.

I read a post many years ago regarding having a light in the coop that suggested leaving a light on at night. After speaking with several locals who raise hens, I put a 7 watt CFL in the coop and it stays on 24/7. My egg production actually went up, and I did not see a drop in egg production when the short daylight hours of winter rolled around. If they are tired, they will sleep just fine, light or no light. I actually did an experiment one year where I left the light off for a week. Their egg production dropped dramatically. I am sold on having a light on in the coop at night.

Of course production went up. But hens have a finite number of eggs. You will get them faster over a shorter period with 24x7 light. If you plan to get rid of them when they stop laying, then that's fine, but they will lay over 5 years instead of 2 years if you don't force them with light.

You do know this thread was dead for 5 years?

Scott

Back
Top Bottom