Light Maline Rooster

Zet

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2018
1598486629849.png

Question, what do the genetics look like that cause a sex linked lighter barring in some NA Malines?

Question, what do the genetics look like that cause a sex linked lighter barring in some NA Malines?
The fact that males have two copies of the barring genes, and a female has one. So, if you breed a pure barred couple, the father passes the gene to both genders of offspring. The mom passes it to her sons.
If you breed a roo with two copies to a mom with none,(not barred) it will not sexlink bc he passes it to both.
But a single barred female to a non-barred male, the sons will be barred, daughters not.
A single barred roo to a non-barred hen will sexlink, barred girls, non barred boys.
The double barred gene appears in light barring in boys.

So the chicken calculator that I've spent 100's of hours poking at is correct in listing [B/B "light" Cuckoo/Barred (DF) ]. I do ponder if it is the double S/S but that's besides the point.

My concern and confusion is really an internet/communication problem. Doubt was cast on the lightness of the males. It may also be an issue with the standard now I need to go read.

Thank you for your input and promptness. Be well.

I think the lighter one is just the male. They tend to be lighter. I had one we thought was make because she ended up being lighter, but it may be because the lady also kept white malines. Not sure.

QUOTE="Zet, post: 23155941, member: 511088"]
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom