Light Sussex Thread!!!

Quote:
They remind me to much of cochins. There is nothing wrong with them. Also the ones i know about get TO large.

Sussex were bred to be 7-8 pounds and dressed weight that would be a 5-6 pound chicken a good size for famileys. The aussie sussex i have heard get up to 12 pounds... JMO. Also i know judges that would automaticaly but any Austrial sussex at end of class or DQ them.... They do not fit our SOP at all.

Hi from Ga. ( call ducks ) Your correct there . My roosters are up to 12#s by 6 months. I haven't gotten into the show thing yet but I do try to get the best quality birds I can when I acquire them. Good Luck and thanks for the info.
big_smile.png

The light sussex weight about 10lbs at 5 months is huge. I am sure it eat a lot. I also read some where it has dorking gene.

I have emailed a couple of people with no success, so I will post here. I am looking for a good dual purpose breed and ran across the Light Sussex and Australian Light Sussex. What is the maturity rate for both of these breeds? I am looking for a weight around the 5-6 month age. Since the Aussies seem to get larger, are they a larger frame at that age or are they filled out and ready to eat at 5-6 months? I have seen some very large Light Sussex roos also, but don't know how fast they fill out. Thanks

Hi from Ga. Our Australian Light Sussex make very good fryers at 6months. As layers they don't start laying until about 7 months.
big_smile.png

97415_100_0398.jpg

97415_100_0414.jpg

The pic. birds are about 3 - 4 months old.

Hi,
I have utility Speckled Sussex right now. Have started Light Sussex coming this Spring. The Light Sussex, like all Sussex, is a close-feathered breed. I think lack of this being close-feathered is a problem in Light Sussex. I don't know how to breed a loose-feathered bird so its descendents are close-feathered. However, I think this knowledge would be good help to some strains of Light Sussex.
Best,
Karen in western PA

Last edited:
Quote:
------
what a lovely set-up! So much room to have a breeding project. Lovely.
Best,
Karen in western PA

Back
Top Bottom