Light Sussex Thread!!!

Pics
Quote: Okay, Good thing BYC has that thing called a search bar.
lol.png

Quote: OH! Okay. That's funny! Well you better get to know me better so that you don't mix me up with anyone else. Haha! Although I may have a Broody Faverolle sometime soon. One of mine is starting to go in the nesting box often, more then usual. :) Hopefully she'll go broody soon.

Cross post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geco812

Is it true that all CW have slate under color?
I'd like to breed to a CW male to put smaller combs on my Light Sussex hens. But I don't want to lose light down color @ hatch.
I breed sex links for my layers. And may have to hold out for a rose comb RIR. Rather than a commercial red as I have used in the past.
Hi,
Welcome to BYC. Yes, CW have slate in their undercolor because they are eb(brown) locus. The Light Sussex is white t the skin because it is eWh locus. So not only are you crossing breeds, you are crossing Locuses. Not a good idea. The Delaware is eWh based Columbian with the barring gene, easier to get rid of.
Frankly tho, loving this variety, I suggest you find another strain of Light Sussex with smaller combs and go that route. Might try Waltz's Ark in Colorado or Sunset Meadows Farms in OH. Jan Childs has some lovely Light Sussex at her Cornerstone Farm. All have websites.
Best,
Karen

Cross post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geco812

Is it true that all CW have slate under color?
I'd like to breed to a CW male to put smaller combs on my Light Sussex hens. But I don't want to lose light down color @ hatch.
I breed sex links for my layers. And may have to hold out for a rose comb RIR. Rather than a commercial red as I have used in the past.
Hi,
Welcome to BYC. Yes, CW have slate in their undercolor because they are eb(brown) locus. The Light Sussex is white t the skin because it is eWh locus. So not only are you crossing breeds, you are crossing Locuses. Not a good idea. The Delaware is eWh based Columbian with the barring gene, easier to get rid of.
Frankly tho, loving this variety, I suggest you find another strain of Light Sussex with smaller combs and go that route. Might try Waltz's Ark in Colorado or Sunset Meadows Farms in OH. Jan Childs has some lovely Light Sussex at her Cornerstone Farm. All have websites.
Best,
Karen
Any one know the LS breeders listed above?

Back
Top Bottom