Light Sussex Thread!!!

Hi

If one breeds for the size and frequency of egg laying in selecting girls, and for size in the boys, why will that move you away from the breed standard? Has the breed standard changed since the 1920's one published in this chain? It is asking for a long back and the 45 degree tail. Is it not viable to do both?

Cathy
It will not move you away if it is done in a balanced fashion. The problem they were seeing back there in the breed was a change in body type just for egg production. The Leghorn is a superb egg layer. Granted it is much easier to make money with eggs than grow out meat birds for the small breeder. Now the body type of the Leghorn is classic for egg laying superiority. Shallow, narrow. The Sussex is historically a meat bird. deep and long and wide.
The trick is to tweak the Sussex body type without changing it. That's where the interplay between breed hallmarks comes into play. For instance. a fine skin allows the skin to stretch when the organs swell when the bird starts laying. Coarse skin allows fat to build up under the skin. The fat keeps the skin from expanding and making more room for the reproduction organs, thus affecting egg laying negatively. How do I know if my bird has fine skin or not? The fineness of scales on the shanks and the fineness of texture on the comb and wattles are indicators of the fineness of the skin on the birds.
Note the close feathering on the Leghorn and the extreme fluffiness ( loose feathering) of the Orpington.
The Sussex is close feathered. that means it has underfluff but not to an extent that it makes the bird look like a fluff ball. the closer the feathering the better the laying bird, in general. That is why you will see in the Sussex literature that, in Sussex , you should be able to see ( unlike the Orpington) the definition of the thighs in the feathering. That is the hallmark of the close feathered bird in contrast to the loose feathering in the Orpington. My Sussex are pure English strain. As such, they tend to carry heaver "pantaloons" on the thighs even tho they are close feathered. See my avatar? she is only 10 months here and has improved her feathering as she matured . But in this state you can see no definition of the thigh from a side view. Now take a look at the painting depicting the ideal artist's view of the Light Sussex in the 2010 ( current) Standard of Perfection:
http://www.katherineplumer.com/closeups/poultry/SOP/LLightSussex.html See the definition of the thigh?

Are you beginning to see how the breed hallmarks also define the careful balance between meat and egg bird? now let's take a look at the head. It is very important when defining the quality of an egg bird. There is a very cool narrow book out there online by Steup called "Breeding and Culling By Head Points". https://archive.org/stream/Breeding.../BreedingCullingByHeadPoints#page/n1/mode/2up
A small volume and very instructive. In reading it, you will see that the description of the head of a quality egg layer is the same as that in the Sussex Standard.
Now let's take a look at the width of the body. There are numerous texts out there describing how to estimate egg and meat ability by the width between the pelvic bones. Narrow, not a good layer, ...wider, a good layer and also a quality carcass to hold meat. The breast bone, the Sussex doesn't need a long keel bone to be a layer, but it describes one in the breed because it is crucial for laying on meat in a meat bird. The breed doesn't need width of body to layer. But it does fro a meat bird, so it's in the Standard.
So after taking a small cruise around some of the breed hallmarks, how do we proceed to create a better layer without losing the meat hallmarks?
The late beloved poultry man and teacher Bob Blosl was once asked this question . He replied , to breed for better closeness of feather and it would raise the egg production by 25 eggs a year. This without moving the breed from close feathered to leghorn feathering. In other words, to change your hens so you could see from a side view, the definition of the thighs thru the feathering. We can breed for finer skin in out birds ( by selecting for finer leg scales and comb & wattle skin. We can continue to monitor the width between the pelvic bones to make sure it stays to Standard while we work on other traits. We can work for better depth of body which will give more room for egg organs and a better carcass for the meat. We can make sure our birds get the proper size granite grit at the proper ages so they develop a larger, healthier gizzard when they reach laying age Thus they can better process feed for digesting. This can result in up to 20% more eggs in a hen.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry
One of the finest expositions I have ever read on the Sussex breed is this 9 page thesis by William White Broomhead. It is timeless wisdom distilled for the average soldier coming back from World War I and being encouraged by the British government to take up poultry breeding. At this time, the Sussex was the premier meat bird in England. Judge Broomhead was one of three Broomhead brothers noted in British poultry circles. He edited the Standard at one time and later went on to be President of the British Poultry Club.
Read it here: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924003137332;view=1up;seq=5
It is so concise I go back and read it again from time to time. It's wisdom is useful fro any of the bred color varieties.
In conclusion, there was a wonderful thread on BYC a while back. It is called Chicken State University. Now ended and locked for reference, it discussed different breeds of poultry. One was the Sussex. In this discussion Dragonlady ( a Buff Orpington breeder with over 50 yrs. in fancy poultry) was asked to discuss a exposition of the Sussex standard. Here is the very revealing discussion with valuable insight into the why's of the Standard.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732985/csu-chicken-state-university-large-fowl-sop
posts 1052 thru 1158 ( three weeks on the Sussex breed). ( Pages 104 thru 116 )
Standard exposition with dragonlady input on pages 109 thru 112.
post 1616 on width of feather.

Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Here is my Sussex, they seem to have decided the best place for food is to eat out of mommy's composter.

Hi Karen
Earlier on you indicated that if you breed for the correct feathering you get better laying.
http://www.researchgate.net/publica...ffects_both_egg_white_thinning_and_egg_weight
According to this article some parts of egg size are on chromosome 2. Which also has many controls for feathers.
Different genes of course but they would tend to move together unless crossover occurs.
But you probably knew this. ;-)
Cathy

Hi Karen
Earlier on you indicated that if you breed for the correct feathering you get better laying.
http://www.researchgate.net/publica...ffects_both_egg_white_thinning_and_egg_weight
According to this article some parts of egg size are on chromosome 2. Which also has many controls for feathers.
Different genes of course but they would tend to move together unless crossover occurs.
But you probably knew this. ;-)
Cathy
Hi Cathy,
Nope I didn't know this. Utterly fascinating. Thanks so much for sharing!
Best,
Karen

Looking to re home my prize cockerel as after 9 months of compliments, one nameless neighbor has taken offense & contacted the council! So one very large Light Sussex (cpt Barnacles) is available for a good home.

Located within Lyndhurst, New Forest, United Kingdom.

Hope to get some opinions from you guys. I am new to light Sussex. I picked these two up a few days ago as pullets. I'm getting suspicious about the darker one. The pointy saddle feathers have me questioning. So, what does everyone think on sexing these two? They are 14 weeks old?

Hi,
The birds above have barring in their hackle feathers. I believe they are Delawares. Which is the same coloring as
the Light Sussex but with the barring gene added. Plus they have yellow legs. Light Sussex have white legs.
Sometimes Light Sussex are hatched with a yellow tint to their legs but that turns white long before 14 weeks old.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi, I'm glad there's a light Sussex thread here. I have 4 LS hens and they lay pretty well. I had 11 cockerels that I processed into decent fryers. The light Sussex are such a nice breed my Sussex have the Canadian bloodlines and are beautiful. Will post some pictures soon.

Hello everyone
We have taken a friends light Sussex on because she crows (as does our buff orp) but I'm not convinced she is a girl. Our friends are certain she was laying. Can anyone tell from this photo please. Her comb and wattles are larger than my last light Sussex.
Cheers
Anne.

Back
Top Bottom