Light to reduce heat stress.

flocking nuts

Chirping
Jun 13, 2016
Homestead, Florida
I've been on a chicken coop mission.I live south west of Miami,FL so it's hot, humid, and we have sideways rain, tropical storms, and hurricanes. I've been doing a lot of research to find a way to keep the flock cool and dry while having the ability to close it up for a storm. (This is really funny, because I don't think I would leave my birds outside, I still want a place to put them back in when the storm is over)

This article will help chicken owners where ever they live.

http://www.fareasternagriculture.com/live-stock/poultry/reducing-broiler-heat-stress-with-light

Happy chickening

Hmmmm....
Not sure this would apply to a layer flock who normally sleep up on a roost,
not on the floor bedding like the 'big broilers' they are talking about in the article.
Wonder how they recorded the 'deep body' temps in the birds studied, and how 'stressful' that was.

In your climate I'd think the best bet would be very large roofs over open air coops.

Hmmmm....
Not sure this would apply to a layer flock who normally sleep up on a roost,
not on the floor bedding like the 'big broilers' they are talking about in the article.
Wonder how they recorded the 'deep body' temps in the birds studied, and how 'stressful' that was.

In your climate I'd think the best bet would be very large roofs over open air coops.

I haven't had the chance yet, but I intend on finding the journal article to get more specifics. That will state the study's limitations, findings, procedures, and questions for further research.

I just found it odd that their body temperatures actually go up at night.

Someone finally clarified that drafts pertain to cold climates, because I was having a lot of trouble figuring out how to keep my chickens from steaming without having a draft.

Btw thanks for your guidance along the way. Whether directly, or through responses to others you've helped me A LOT

Since the research concerned broilers that sleep in the ground, I do not think the approach is applicable to most poultry keepers where the birds roost in elevated locations. Being elevated allows airflow that helps elevated night time temperatures. When gets really hot my birds stand exposing legs and extend wings exposing thinly feathers areas beneath their wings. Birds crowding on ground while sleeping can not exploit either option.

Back
Top Bottom