Lighting Coop .. open pop door when?

Northof26

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2023
Not sure this has been covered I have my coop light turn on at 1 am. But natural sunrise is not until 7:51 am. I have bee opening the pop door at that time , then the man door at 7 am when I go to work. The feed and water is in the run , it will be -9 Celsius tonight and the coldest temps are actually from midnight to noon. And it will be - 20 and lower regularly come January and February. Should I just leave them in the coop with no food or water until 7 am or keep opening the pop door when the light comes on?

this is not an ideal setup. theyll be fine without water or food for 6 hours but doing this everyday this will lead to stress. if youre gonna do a light inside the coop to wake them up early id suggest have food and water inside the coop as well and have the door open up at sunrise.

Sunset is 438 pm okay not sure about water in the coop ? As it can increase humidity and frostbite.. maybe I could add the food and water and see if it makes a difference in humidity wise..

And this is the info I receive with my pullets

Note: If you raise your spring chicks on natural light in the summer, when it comes to the fall, increase their light by 1/2 an hour per week until 16 hours is reached. WATCH OUT!!!!!!!WINTER DAYLIGHT REDUCTION, QUALITY OF FOOD, LACK OF WATER OR COLD TEMPERATURES MAY PREVENT YOUR YOUNG HENS FROM COMING INTO LAY, OR RESULT IN YOUR OLDER LAYING HENS GOING INTO A MOLT (SHEDDING THEIR FEATHERS & CEASE LAYING). IF THIS OCCURS, GO BACK TO THE LIGHTING PROGRAM RECOMMENDED & START AGAIN!

And this is the info I receive with my pullets

Note: If you raise your spring chicks on natural light in the summer, when it comes to the fall, increase their light by 1/2 an hour per week until 16 hours is reached. WATCH OUT!!!!!!!WINTER DAYLIGHT REDUCTION, QUALITY OF FOOD, LACK OF WATER OR COLD TEMPERATURES MAY PREVENT YOUR YOUNG HENS FROM COMING INTO LAY, OR RESULT IN YOUR OLDER LAYING HENS GOING INTO A MOLT (SHEDDING THEIR FEATHERS & CEASE LAYING). IF THIS OCCURS, GO BACK TO THE LIGHTING PROGRAM RECOMMENDED & START AGAIN!
Welcome to BYC!!
16 hours of daylight is needed for optimal egg production but they will lay with less light—and they will not lay as many eggs.
Last winter I had light in my run for 4 hrs in the morning (on 4AM); sunset is 4:30 in my region, so 12 hrs of light and I got about 3 eggs a day from 7 pullets. A few had light molts at that time, too.

1AM is extreme. The instructions seem to be written to scare the stuff out of a person, IMO.
If you must have egg production then set a more reasonable schedule for lighting-12 hours- maybe 14. Get a programable timer- split the lights-on time into a few hours before and after sunset rather than all on one end of the timeline.
But, If you can get away without egg production until Feb when they begin laying again then my advice is let them have a natural existence in winters darkness.
Regarding molt- a light molt in Spring chicks may or may not occur despite light or no light. Its the following summer/fall when they will molt like crazy. I don’t think you can prevent molt with light, and you don’t want to prevent molt because it better prepares their plumage to keep them warm for winter.
Good luck to you. :frow

hmmm interesting, I really wanted to do light at the beginning and end of the day, but everything I had read up until this point said to put it on the am side so they could naturally roost and not be confused by a light all of a sudden turning off? Thanks i will try your suggestions.

13-14 hours is plenty, IME.
I don't turn the lights up until late December.
If you don't let them molt in fall, they may molt in spring.
I prefer to add light in the mornings, so they can go to roost 'naturally'.
I use horizontal nipples in a heated water, so no added humidity.
Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Back
Top Bottom