Lighting/Heat Lamp

While this may be true, they do not come with instructions, and yes everyone has a right to choose....I don't believe I challenged that. I have, however. read several different threads posted since I joined about fires that were caught just in time and exploding bulbs and so on. Further they cannot be monitored 24/7...unfortunately...
Neither does a home made heating pad come with instructions, and I have read multiple times of heating pads overheating, why do you think they changed the design so much that they will shut off after so much time on.

I have used a heat lamp for 20 years brooding chicks and I've never had a single problem. Both systems require some amount of education to use. I certainly can't brood large groups of chicks with a heating pad, I would need multiple ones and my guess is they would all try to get under one pad, and some would become chilled, because it's dark and they can't see to move to another pad, or know to.

It does seem like whenever someone asks a question about a heat lamp they get told to use the heating pad, which negates any educating anyone can do for using a heat lamp. How is anyone suppose to learn when no one will say anything but use the heating pad. My two cents anyways.

I've used a heat lamp in the past & I actually have one in my basement (in its box) just in case as a reserve heating unit. I don't plan to use it, but if there were a glitch in the heat pad or such I'd have the option. I think that if you're diligent, you can make them as safe as possible by using a little common sense. That being said, there was a coop fire circulated in a FB group for my state last night where a lamp caused a fire that destroyed the coop and the owners house. Extreme example I know but it's not so uncommon that it isn't known to happen. I use MHP brooding because I think it's "better" for the chicks in that they aren't being blasted 24/7 by light and I didn't want to drop a ton of cash on a Brinsea ecoglow since I only hatch out in small batches at a time - the $20 Sunbeam is perfect for what I need.

For smaller batches of chicks the MHP sounds like the best way to brood.

I don't use a heat lamp in my coop because there's that risk of fire it a larger bird flies into it. I brood in a separate shed, never in the house, than move the chicks to their respective coops when no extra heat is needed. I fortunately can get more than a few chicks at a time.

I haven't seen anything wrong with the light on all night, so I'm not sure what problems people keep saying are from it? My chicks seek it out like it was their momma and cry when I turn it off.

I haven't seen anything wrong with the light on all night, so I'm not sure what problems people keep saying are from it? My chicks seek it out like it was their momma and cry when I turn it off.

I guess "better" is subjective. I like that it generally keeps the chicks quiet (I brood in my basement currently because the DirecTV guy cut the power supply to my garage and I haven't had time to fix it) when it gets dark and they still retain the heat source. I'll only have 13 chicks en route, half are bantams and 5 eggs incubating (1 of which has a terrible air cell) and will add 4 chicks to the brooder in a few days. I think I cold fit 0 more in there (and if they don't all fit in the cave, I'll swap it out for the light) with the MHP. I don't know that there is a realistic option for brooding in bulk without a light.

I also don't get the "Lights are terrible" all of a sudden because they've been around forever. I've used them in the past and may likely use them in the future. I think it's like everything these days in that "my way is the only way" rather than "my way is a way" points of view have established. ;)

I agree with you on heat lamps in the coop...

I guess "better" is subjective.  I like that it generally keeps the chicks quiet (I brood in my basement currently because the DirecTV guy cut the power supply to my garage and I haven't had time to fix it) when it gets dark and they still retain the heat source.  I'll only have 13 chicks en route, half are bantams and 5 eggs incubating (1 of which has a terrible air cell) and will add 4 chicks to the brooder in a few days.  I think I cold fit 0 more in there (and if they don't all fit in the cave, I'll swap it out for the light) with the MHP.  I don't know that there is a realistic option for brooding in bulk without a light.

I also don't get the "Lights are terrible" all of a sudden because they've been around forever.  I've used them in the past and may likely use them in the future.  I think it's like everything these days in that "my way is the only way" rather than "my way is a way" points of view have established.  ;)

I agree with you on heat lamps in the coop...
Thank you, that's what I'm trying to say. I just don't like all the heat lamp bashing and when questions pop up on how to properly use one, the answer shouldn't always be use a heating pad, nor do I bash the heating pad, they both have their place in brooding chicks.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom