Joliver1990

Hatching
May 21, 2018
E151E594-267C-4F88-B644-FF712E04B342.jpeg
2FD88FD4-16C0-464B-9668-44A6C4EEFC57.jpeg
CEC574EB-91BD-4253-AF0A-72D2B8C41CE9.jpeg
My duck has recently started limping and tucks one foot up under her wing when she has the chance. I’m not sure if it looks like anything but I can’t really tell. I would appreciate other opinions.

I want to piggyback on this post with a question about my duck. She's a six month old Blue Swedish and she must have injured her foot. We noticed her limping a few weeks ago. I checked her for bumblefoot and found none. I looked at and felt her legs and didn't notice anything. We thought that she might have twisted the leg or foot while getting out of our stream, because she's somewhat clumsy if she hurries. She rested for about a week, sitting with the other ducks while they foraged. She seemed much better after several days. I went to out today and saw that she was limping horribly and laboring to walk. She was perfectly fine yesterday. Today, her foot looked swollen to me and it was definitely tender to the touch. She didn't want to stand on the leg. I picked her up and examined her again. No bumblefoot. Nothing moved unusually when I flexed her joints, but I noticed two bumps near her ankle. I wrapped her whole leg in VetWrap, which was all I had on hand this evening. When I put her down in the duck house, she stood on the foot with the VetWrap. I will get some popsicle sticks for a splint, if that is a good idea. We don't have a local bird vet, so I just do what I can and am open to suggestions. We've had ducks for 4 years, but I've never seen an injury like this.

@AHoags hun she may have a strain...you can try a splint but make sure you don't wrap it too tight,also do some B complex vitamins as well as offering oyster shell calcium to aid in bone and ligament healing I also offer this free choice as my ducks go through it more than my chickens and other flock members do this should help you hun
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html?m=1
Hope everything goes better,keep us updated

Back
Top Bottom