Limping Duck

Sarah and Joey

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Can anybody help with my limping duck?
She had a cut under her toe a couple of weeks ago, we
it with antiseptic morning & night for a few days but being a duck she still went waddling in the mud!! After a few days she seemed to get better & then suddenly last week started limping again, it's spring and the males seem to b constantly on her back at the mo, so we took her indoors for a couple of days to let her have a rest. If anything she looked worse, so we put her back outside, she's still limping and she looks like she's rubbed the top layer off above her toe!!
Anybody any ideas??

Can anybody help with my limping duck?
She had a cut under her toe a couple of weeks ago, we it with antiseptic morning & night for a few days but being a duck she still went waddling in the mud!! After a few days she seemed to get better & then suddenly last week started limping again, it's spring and the males seem to b constantly on her back at the mo, so we took her indoors for a couple of days to let her have a rest. If anything she looked worse, so we put her back outside, she's still limping and she looks like she's rubbed the top layer off above her toe!!
Anybody any ideas??
What does the under side of her toe look like now? aside from the dirt that is. is it swollen, hot to touch Have you tried Epsom salt soaks or compresses? a couple times a day keeping her on as clean as bedding as possible while treating and away from the drakes, could be she may even have an injury to her leg besides the foot. My drakes are so big compared to the ducks and when they mate on dry ground sometimes my girls have some trouble walking. Trying to give her some rest along with Epsom salt soaks and or compresses [warm water] 2 cups to 1 gallon of warm water[ and don't let her drink the ES water it has a laxative effect. I use a 1 gal bucket and just support her while holding her legs and feet in the bucket and also plastic dish pan works well for this. I see the skin off her toe what's it look like under that toe?

The cut seems to be full of black dirt but no longer a open wound, feels hard as if its healed over the dirt. Doesn't feel hot or swollen apart from the lump over the cut. Will try the Epsom salts, do I need to get these from the feed store or general grocery store?
Thanks 4 your help

The cut seems to be full of black dirt but no longer a open wound, feels hard as if its healed over the dirt. Doesn't feel hot or swollen apart from the lump over the cut. Will try the Epsom salts, do I need to get these from the feed store or general grocery store?
Thanks 4 your help
Any where, I buy it at Sams, when you soak it will help clean it out real good then you can really get a good look at whats going on.

Back
Top Bottom