Limping hen, no visible injury

mcclucker

Songster
Jul 2, 2016
VT
My Coop
My Coop
My danger chicken (seriously, this girl has survived a dog attack, & a hawk attach) is now limping. I don't see any signs of bumblefoot. She is 1 year old next week, laid yesterday, eating and drinking, just not putting weight on her right leg. She didn't object to my examining the whole leg and I can't feel a break or swelling or any injury at all. I separated her. Wait it out? Or would some vet wrap help her? Here's video. Of course this is my favorite hen. It's never the obnoxious one I wouldn't mind eating.

https://instagram.com/p/BVVfodbn_Df/

She could have sprained it coming off the roosts. How high are your roosts? I personally wouldn't wrap in nor separate unless she's being picked on.

My danger chicken (seriously, this girl has survived a dog attack, & a hawk attach) is now limping. I don't see any signs of bumblefoot. She is 1 year old next week, laid yesterday, eating and drinking, just not putting weight on her right leg. She didn't object to my examining the whole leg and I can't feel a break or swelling or any injury at all. I separated her. Wait it out? Or would some vet wrap help her? Here's video. Of course this is my favorite hen. It's never the obnoxious one I wouldn't mind eating.

https://instagram.com/p/BVVfodbn_Df/
Is she a buff orpington? She looks like my peaches. She was doing the same thing. Even to the point of stretching that foot out everytime she lied down. No sign of bumblefoot or anything. Thay was untill i noticed a large sore she peaked till it bleed. Dont know how i missed but i would maybe take her to her vet. It can help if it is the samething my girl is going through. Vatch before it gets to the pòint where its like my girl. Good luck

She is a buff! And my roost is pretty high. Almost 4' I think. There is a lower one but of course it's not preferred. I took the high one down and let her out. She's sort of walking on it. No one is bothering her. I'll get my husband to hold her so I can get a better look at the foot. Thank you!

Four feet is a big drop for a heavy buff Orpington, so my original thought of a sprain is still what I would think.

Well, the ultimate verdict is bumblefoot. I finally found a tiny cut after her foot swelled up quite a bit more. It was really tiny! But it's cleaned and has vetericyn spray and gauze and some vet wrap on it for the night.

Lesson learned - clean the whole foot and look REALLY closely.

Back
Top Bottom