Limping pullet, sideways toe?

Chickie friend

Songster
Aug 9, 2020
Central TX
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
The pullet who's limping is about 10 months old, (she's a buff orpington). She doesn't seem lighter than the others at all.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Her middle toe looks sideways, like it had been twisted almost. She has been limping and almost immediately sat down like it was uncomfortable for her to stand up when I put her in my lap.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I noticed today, but other family members said they might've saw something yesterday or the day before
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Nope
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Her middle toe on the left side is crooked and might be broken? I don't know.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea
7) what has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Her crop is full, same as normal this time of day.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Haven't seen her poop recently
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I can try to treat it myself, but may be able to take her to the vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She's in a converted play house coop with deep litter. The roost is about 4-ish feet off the ground.
IMG_20210309_174719.jpg
IMG_20210309_174738.jpg
IMG_20210309_174722.jpg

If you can move it into a normal, or nearly normal position then a splint may help. If it won't move, then it's probably been too long and it's healing the way it is. A shoe type splint usually works best and stays on better than trying to splint a single toe. You can make one out of a plastic food container lid, like from yogurt, sour cream, etc. cut to size and vet wrap.
Splinting manual below, shoe splints start on page 23. If you splint make sure it's not too tight and check for swelling often, you don't want to cut circulation off. Also make sure that it can't rub and irritate the skin. Epsom salt soaks can help with pain and swelling. I would crate her in a wire crate in the run where she can see the others and they can see her, but she can rest it til it's feeling better. If it heals wonky, as long as it doesn't impact her getting around, they usually adapt and do fine. I usually only splint if it's really out of position and the bird is stepping on it or it's making it hard for them to walk.
4 feet to jump from a roost is too high, especially for heavy breeds. 18 inches is really a better max. distance. I would lower the roost or make a ramp or other step system that they can get up and down on. Stacked hay bales work. They older they get, and the heavier they are, the less distance they have to jump the better. In addition to broken toes, or legs, it could result in bumblefoot infections.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
If you can move it into a normal, or nearly normal position then a splint may help. If it won't move, then it's probably been too long and it's healing the way it is. A shoe type splint usually works best and stays on better than trying to splint a single toe. You can make one out of a plastic food container lid, like from yogurt, sour cream, etc. cut to size and vet wrap.
Splinting manual below, shoe splints start on page 23. If you splint make sure it's not too tight and check for swelling often, you don't want to cut circulation off. Also make sure that it can't rub and irritate the skin. Epsom salt soaks can help with pain and swelling. I would crate her in a wire crate in the run where she can see the others and they can see her, but she can rest it til it's feeling better. If it heals wonky, as long as it doesn't impact her getting around, they usually adapt and do fine. I usually only splint if it's really out of position and the bird is stepping on it or it's making it hard for them to walk.
4 feet to jump from a roost is too high, especially for heavy breeds. 18 inches is really a better max. distance. I would lower the roost or make a ramp or other step system that they can get up and down on. Stacked hay bales work. They older they get, and the heavier they are, the less distance they have to jump the better. In addition to broken toes, or legs, it could result in bumblefoot infections.
Ok, I tried to move her foot into a more normal position and it popped back in. I think I'm going to splint her foot tonight.

Sounds like a splint may be helpful then, hopefully it will heal in a very normal position. It may take weeks before it's strong enough to have the splint off.

Sounds like a splint may be helpful then, hopefully it will heal in a very normal position. It may take weeks before it's strong enough to have the splint off.
I don't have any micropore tape like the manual recommends, could I use human medical tape? or should I wait and order some?

Just use something that won't stick to the toe so that you have to forcefully remove it. You can also use vet wrap or co wrap that sticks to itself. Use multiple layers to build it up some, put it over and under the foot, it will stick to itself but not the toes, and will hold them in place.
newshoe.jpg

Every bird is a little different, even in what they will tolerate. So do what works for her. You can also do an online search for shoe splints for birds, and see what images pop up. It doesn't have to be beautiful, just has to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom