Limping Rooster- Need help, photos attached

bmorechickie

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2013
My light Brahma roo starting limping 4-5 days ago. Treated him for scaly leg yesterday, no real improvement today. He's a big guy and still eating, drinking, crowing and watching his ladies just hopping on one leg and pawing at the air with the other. Sits from time to time because he's tired. Does this look like scaley mites???
rooster leg 2.JPG

Attachments

• rooster leg.JPG
    rooster leg.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 5
Hi- Not very different. I took him to the vet- 10 days of antibiotics and he's still not bearing weight. Vet says its not broken. Any advice?

What do the bottoms of his feet look like? Is there any bumblefoot scabs? The one toe in the second picture looks like the toenail is missing. Did you have any frostbite problem in the winter?

Last edited:
I removed a bumblefoot plug about 3 weeks ago from the foot in question. Vet checked him after and said it looked good. His missing nail was from a fight with a neighborhood terrier about a year ago. Rooster-1 Terrier-0
Any idea how long the bumble recovery takes?

1589652700648.png

He seems to have a hard time with the pinfeathers on both feet too. Maybe you can cut them short or pull them out, so he will not experience them pricking and hurting his toes with every step.

Ok- His feet aren't hot to the touch any longer. I put some cortizone on his feet yesterday to test and see if he has any reaction or pain relief. It's been about 4 weeks and foot looks good but he's still not walking on it. The vet did say his xray showed less muscle mass on his affected side which I assume is from hoping on his good leg and not using the affected leg. Hoping he's not too far gone to get the muscle back.

Back
Top Bottom