Limping

It won't hurt him. I had a hen that was limping like that for seemingly no reason and I just massaged Neosporin ointment all over her leg and the joint and she stopped limping after a few days.

Heavy breed birds are more likely to get foot and leg injuries than smaller breed birds. I recommend lowering roosts, lowering or eliminating other high places where they can jump down from. It's best that you put your bird in a crate or cage, provide food and water. She'll need rest and relaxation to let the injury heal. She shouldnt be walking around, scratching through leaves or dirt etc..,that can cause more serious or permanent damage to a tendon or ligament. You can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy, crush a few tablets into powder and sprinkle it into her food to eat. The vitamin B complex may help her heal quicker. Do this for 5 days then release her and see if she can walk normally. If not, put her back in the cage for a week with continued vitamin added in her food.
Then release her again and if there's no improvement, put her back in the cage and stop the vitamin B complex treatment. These injuries take time to heal, much like a sprained ankle in a human. With chickens, it might take a week to heal, a month or more, or never....depending on the severity of the injury.
My 11 week old belgian d'anver who is crossbeak is limping. I don't know if it is from injury or switching to grower finisher. I notice she is pecking the ground alot, is that from lacking vitamin B? I bought some B complex to try , being she is only 11 weeks old, how many should I give her and do I still do it for 5 days?

I have an Australorp that just started limping and was considering the b-complex in the water. Can't find anything wrong after an initial look, but will check further today--she doesn't put much weight on her foot. I haven't isolated her yet; if I do put the vitamins in the water, will it affect egg production in the other hens if they happen to drink the water?

Back
Top Bottom