Mariakoltsa

Songster
Feb 5, 2019
Australia, QLD
hello !

Quick question as its already too late probably. Baby chick assisted hatched. About 5 days old now. Had a swollen belly i thought might have been normal from the yolk sack. went a bit smaller but one half of her belly still swollen plus the dried belly 'cord' stump still attached. she doesnt seem as active as normally chicks should by now and im a bit late to the conclusion that she might have omphalitis. since it was an accidental "litter" i noticed the dirty egg too late plus she came 6 days later than all other chicks.(had to continue incubating her myself) i only have lincospectin soluble powder at hand.
what would be the dosage in water and is that even an acceptable antibiotic in this case and is 5 days too late ?
kind regards

How is your chick doing?
I random dosed and shared the amount i had into 10 to do a 10 day course. Not ideal but the day i started i could have sworn she would not survive the night. Next 3 days i was certain im going to turn my back and she will be dead. She is about 2 weeks old now and still the same size when she hatched. Eating well. Drinking not to much but i guess enough to get some antibiotics. If it seems she has had nothing to drink i syringe her a ml because that’s all that seems to fit.
Her belly is no longer dark res in color but still seems incredibly swollen and sticking out the back so when she poops it falls lot of the times on the belly. I can tell the swelling is little bit down from the beginning since there is poop on the ground whereas before all of the poo stuck to her belly. I clean her bum once a dah and apply antibiotic ointment on the belly cord which has a stump still attached.
At this stage she seems okay but seems like she could still die since the belly is massive. And i have a mirror and a soft toy in there but she is incredibly lonely still and cries most of the day.
Improvement is big but not big enough yet for me to know if she will live. She used to face plant on the ground and then stay that way bum and legs up and face down unable to move but that has not happened and she is walking and sitting like a normal chick.

Back
Top Bottom