Line bottom of chicken run with hardware cloth?

Hi, I am in the process of building my chicken run and need advice. As of now it is all dirt, and after reading many posts I think I will add sand/gravel to it. My question, however, is if I need to line the entire bottom of it with hardware cloth to keep out predators. We have skunks, raccoons, and stray cats in our area. At the very least I will be burying the wire a foot down around the edges, but is it overkill to line the whole floor? The run is 8 x 20 feet, so that requires a lot of wire. Thanks for the advice!
chickens wont like walking on wire all day - figure something else out..

I guess it really depends upon your comfort level. I did line the entire bottom of my run with hardware wire that I screwed onto the frame. It was actuallyuch easier to line the entire bottom than to bury an "apron" of wire around the perimeter. My run is about 16'
x 7', somewhat smaller than yours. My birds have access to their run 24/7; I don't worry about preditors, and we have plenty! Good luck with your project... I'm in the process of designing our next coop, about 24' x 12' and haven't yet decided on the new run. I wish a new coop/run would just appear!
wink.png
Can I ask how you did this? I want to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom