line breeding turkeys

Cody Walker

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
i have a flock of bronze turkeys that i have been breeding the same tom to his daughters. this year will be the fourth generation. i have the first batch of eggs in the incubator and i have lost several eggs. wondering if i need to get a new tom or not. any help would be great.

Four generations is too much inbreeding. I would get some fresh unrelated birds. A generation or two is okay but 4 is getting too inbred and you will start to see problems from it.

I just hatched a couple of Royal Palms. I want to keep them and possible replace my Tom. Would there be problems breeding a son to the mother? I love my Tom he was super friendly when I first got him then his favorite hen died and now he’s a jerk. One reason I want to keep the poults.

I just hatched a couple of Royal Palms. I want to keep them and possible replace my Tom. Would there be problems breeding a son to the mother? I love my Tom he was super friendly when I first got him then his favorite hen died and now he’s a jerk. One reason I want to keep the poults.
Mother to son or father to daughter is line breeding and is a long accepted method.

Back
Top Bottom