Little bugs and bleeding spot by eye- any ideas?

DuckiesAndBees

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
I was out with the ducks tonights and I noticed all 3 of them have these little black and grey insects on them, from what I could tell mostly around their faces. I would say 2-4 bugs per duck that I could see. These are small flying insects. They are not fleas or ticks (I think. Have never seen a tick up close but I looked it up). When I brushed them away most would fly off but one was right next to the duck's eye and I had to pick it off. There was a tiny pinprick of blood where the bug had been, like it was biting the duck's eye.
somad.gif
Does anyone know what this would be and how I can get rid of them? I know diatomaceous earth is supposedly good for fleas. For background, it's been really hot and humid here for the last week, and all the bugs have been bad, especially mosquitos. Thanks for your help!

without a pic, it is hard to tell. Could be flees, nats, or many others...if they fly away when you come near ,then prob not much that you can do...
are you sure they do not have lice or mites???
check the belly, under the wings and around the vent. also check the shaft of the feathers (where they meet the skin)
look for brownish, grey, black, or red once they have feed they turn red) and look for any clumps ar the base of the feathers.
You may need to go ahead and dust them for infestation.

Thanks for your help. I'm assuming I can find info on dusting somewhere on the forum? Just never heard of it. I don't think it's mites or fleas just because I have seen fleas before and the bugs are big enough to see clearly. I am leaning towards gnat but I guess I didn't think they would bite. I'm going to try the diatomaceous earth too and see if that helps. I went out there this morning and again had to pull one off the duck's inner eye and it bled just a little. Poor babies
hit.gif
I am definitely going to do something today because I hate to see them uncomfortable!

if they have mites, or lice and some other bugs...you can buy SEVIN dust (in your local garden section)
Just be careful not to breath it in to much an keep away from animals eyes and ears.
I usually put it in a cut off pantyhose then use it like a powder puff

One more question: I have beehives not too far from the duck pen and I've read that Sevin dust is really bad for the bees. Apparently the spray is safer for the bees. Anyone used the sevin spray near ducks? I could probably use the dust on them but shouldn't use it in their pen.

i really do not know what the difference between the spray and dust is...they have the same ingredients.
I use "poultry protector" you can get it at TSC, Orscheln, and placed like that....It works pretty good and is all natrual and safe

Back
Top Bottom