Little Giant Incubator Tricks

I suspect the egg that exploded may have had a hairline crack. Sometimes an egg will have one that is hard to detect and when you tapped on the crack it exploded. When the chick is nearly fully developed it is pretty much impossible to see any movement. I have tapped on the eggs too. I just leave the unhatched eggs in the incubator an extra couple of days or so. A couple of times I have had chicks hatch that I thought were expired. It was day 25 and I was turning off the incubator and taking the eggs that hadn't hatched out and I heard peeping. The pips were under the eggs so I didn't see them and the chicks were stuck so I helped them hatch and they survived.
woot.gif
woot.gif
Congratulations! I hope they continue to do well. I have been communicating with someone that thought her eggs were dead. She put them in a baggie and then in a paper bag and in the trash outside. A little later she was outside for something and heard cheeping. Looked and looked and realized it was in her trash can. I don't remember how many she said hatched but last I heard they were ok.

It is one of those mini flood lamp bulbs. I think maybe 85 watt. Not sure. I made it a few years ago and put foil on the inside of the cardboard.

With foil on the inside of the cardboard, does that make it hotter? Do you use it as a heat lamp or just a candler?

Quote:
I put the foil on the inside because the bulb gets hot and when I made my first lamp I didn't put the foil on it and it smoked the cardboard so when I made another one I put the foil on the inside and no more smoke. I use it just as a candler.

It is one of those mini flood lamp bulbs. I think maybe 85 watt. Not sure. I made it a few years ago and put foil on the inside of the cardboard.
I was cuirous if it was a std incondesent bulb or something special. The floods seem to hve more intense light than the incandesent.

Put 10 out of 14 into lockdown worried about humidity as its 80% dry today...but all eggs look great going in! One still has a wicked saddle but very active. So this is my first attempt with shipped eggs again. 6 out of 10 shipped went in... the other 4 my broody was on for 3 days before switching nests.
YOu doing great now with shipped eggs!!!
pop.gif

Last edited:
Those little red caps that close the holes ..do ya leave both out or one in til day 18 than remove both? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom