Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
Cool. We have millions of plastic eggs around here I could fill up for heat sinks. Good idea.
I added 1/2 T of water when the humidity dropped to 20%, and it's at 52% now, which is more than I think I want. It only came with one of the red plugs, the previous owner having lost one. Looks like I need to come up with something to use in the second hole. I'm a little shocked about the humidity as my house runs at about 45% naturally.
It's holding its temp beautifully at 100, but I wonder how it will drop overnight as the house cools slightly.

I have misplaced the plugs before too. I used tape over the vent holes. I have also laid a towel over my incubator. This is when our power went out.

sunnyskies-- when I have washed the lg base, I 've found it absorbs water. This might be a factor.

I use tape too. Allows me to cover 1/2 the hole for fine adjustment.

It's humming right along. The humidity dropped to 16% overnight after I pulled the plug,, so I think I need to find some tape and add 1 teaspoon of water as needed. I added that this morning, and it's now plugging along at 30%. Temp seems to be holding perfectly, but I think it's better to not sweat it too too much as long as it doesnt get too hot..after all, the hens get off the nest periodically.

Eggs should arrive Friday, maybe Saturday, and I plan to let them rest for 6-12 hours before setting.

My kids screamed with joy when I told them.

DH asked me last night, "What is that styrofoam box in there making noise?" When I told him (of course, couching the whole thing in homeschool experiences ;) , he said, "Hmmpft." :lol:

It's humming right along. The humidity dropped to 16% overnight after I pulled the plug,, so I think I need to find some tape and add 1 teaspoon of water as needed. I added that this morning, and it's now plugging along at 30%. Temp seems to be holding perfectly, but I think it's better to not sweat it too too much as long as it doesnt get too hot..after all, the hens get off the nest periodically.

Eggs should arrive Friday, maybe Saturday, and I plan to let them rest for 6-12 hours before setting.

DH asked me last night, "What is that styrofoam box in there making noise?" When I told him (of course, couching the whole thing in homeschool experiences
wink.png
, he said, "Hmmpft."
lol.png
yuckyuck.gif
I just had the duty of informing DH lost hen had shown up with . . 13 chicks. We are already behind on coops and he has quietly mentioned reducing the flock. THen these chicks show up.
th.gif

Having your RH drop to 18 is ok. In the winter mine fluctuates 18-30 and I get good hatches. Now that it is running close to 30 all the time, my hatch rate is down, and more eggs are too watery when I open them. I needed to know why they are not hatching. I'm thinking about putting in a dehumidifier.

THe % RH is NOT nearly as important as making sure the eggs are loosing moisture at the appropriate rate, and have lost about 13% of their weight by lockdown.

:lol:

I will stop worrying about RH then until lockdown. If I don't add any water, it wants to hang around 20. Ok. I'll leave it alone then. Cool.

Gosh, I hope this works.

DH asked me last night, "What is that styrofoam box in there making noise?" When I told him (of course, couching the whole thing in homeschool experiences
wink.png
, he said, "Hmmpft."
lol.png

When I have gotten shipped eggs, I put them in the turner in the incubator as soon as I get them but don't turn on the turner until the next day and let the egg get up to the correct temp. I have also let them set a few hours to around 24 hours on my counter first before putting them into the incubator but haven't noticed any difference in my hatches. I have had very good hatches as long as the eggs are good (fertile) to start with. I have noticed my boys aren't quite as active in the heat and also how the eggs are packed and how long in transit.

Last edited:
That's a good idea too. I'll shut the turner off; I had it on to see how much heat its motor added. Kind of a lot in the vicinity. Like I won't ever use those cups because it wants to be 102 near the motor.

I'm hoping the eggs are fertile...the seller says she is having good luck currently, but it is sooo hot. They should only be a day in transit, as she only lives maybe 200 miles from me (I thought about driving to pick them up, but I need to be here for last minute things related to closing tomorrow on our farm!) and she seems to know what she's doing for packing.

I'm so nervous. I've never hatched shipped eggs. I used to hatch a lot of eggs 25 years ago as a teen and with a cabinet bator or broody hens, but they were from my hens. This is a whole new ball of wax. But how FUN if I can get this to work...I can try all kinds of neat birds not found locally! (chicken math, right, lol)

It has been hotter up where you are than here in Florida. I used to incubate in my styrofoam incubators but now I just hatch in them and incubate in a cabinet incubator. If I'm running just a small batch of eggs, I'll use a styrofoam incubator I have turners for them also.

Good of you to realize the effects of the turner.THe motor does create a lot of heat. I find the LG not very adjustable so I don't use a turner. ANd you are right, the hole next to the motor is regarded as too hot to put in an egg.

Good luck, so excited for you. IT's fun, exciting and a bit like a major holiday during the winter!

EEK. Maybe egg day!

And CLOSING DAY! 7 acres! Big house!

And our 19th wedding anniversary tomorrow!

Thanks for cheering me on!

I can see how this is addictive though...I'm perusing hatching eggs all over the web. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom