Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
I got a free LG incubator last night. Its used and was dirty
sad.png
BUT i scrubbed it with dish soap and water and have it out in the sun! I am gonna get it going and hopefully use it for a hatcher!!!

I got a free LG incubator last night. Its used and was dirty
sad.png
BUT i scrubbed it with dish soap and water and have it out in the sun! I am gonna get it going and hopefully use it for a hatcher!!!
I use mine as hatchers. It's easier to clean them out than to hatch in my cabinet incubator and clean it out.
jumpy.gif

One of the 2 eggs we had left is hatching! I'm absolutely amazed! I'm concerned because it almost looks like some of its intestines are on the outside, attached to the membrane of the egg. Is this normal?!? I'm concerned!

One of the 2 eggs we had left is hatching! I'm absolutely amazed! I'm concerned because it almost looks like some of its intestines are on the outside, attached to the membrane of the egg. Is this normal?!? I'm concerned!
No, this is not normal and most likely the chick won't survive. I have had chicks (rarely) hatch with their intestines out. They died eventually. Are you sure it's not the yolk sack. If it is the yolk sack it just may have not been fully absorbed yet. I have had that too. They eventually absorb most of it and a little may dry up and eventually fall off.

Here is one that hatched with it's intestines out. It died.

This one pipped the wrong end. After 24 hours I peeled away a little of the shell. I left the membrane alone. 5 more hours and it did not progress. I then moistened the membrane and pulled it slightly. When I did this it bleed a tiny bit. What should I do? Its still breathing.

It pipped approx 30 hrs ago

No, this is not normal and most likely the chick won't survive. I have had chicks (rarely) hatch with their intestines out. They died eventually. Are you sure it's not the yolk sack. If it is the yolk sack it just may have not been fully absorbed yet. I have had that too. They eventually absorb most of it and a little may dry up and eventually fall off. Here is one that hatched with it's intestines out. It died.
He doesn't look like that! His(her?!?) vent area seems better, just a little dried blood, but he's not walking well yet. I put him in the brooder with biomom, who has him tucked under her. I have him some liquid from our fermented feed & I'm just hoping for the best now. Sigh. Waiting is the hard part! Thank you for your help!

This one pipped the wrong end. After 24 hours I peeled away a little of the shell. I left the membrane alone. 5 more hours and it did not progress. I then moistened the membrane and pulled it slightly. When I did this it bleed a tiny bit. What should I do? Its still breathing.

It pipped approx 30 hrs ago

I have had several pip at the pointy end. I don't worry about it because they have all still hatched fine. They do turn in the shell when they pip and zip. Sometimes they get turned around and pip the pointy end. I would just leave it alone for now. A little blood is ok. but If you see the blood veins, I would wait. If you pick away more shell you could do more damage. I don't help the chicks out unless they have been in the shell pipped for around 24 hrs. I do check on them to see if they are stuck in the shell, then I will help them hatch. They pip and rest then pip and zip some more and rest. It can take some chicks just minutes from pip to hatch and some up to around 24 hrs. from pip to hatch. If the chick doesn't make it then it wasn't meant to be. Good luck and have fun...
Want to add, check the chick and if there isn't too much blood pick away some of the shell. The paper towel doesn't need to be too wet, just moist.

Last edited:
Most likely the chick hasn't fully absorbed it's yolk sack.

Now for the waiting I guess. Cmom, you are amazing! Thanks for all of your help & quick responses! And a shout out to Arielle & Apyl, too! The support is so wonderful!!! Hopefully I'll be posting pics of a healthy chick in the next day or two! But I know I can do it!

Last edited:
We had to put him down last night. Very sad, but necessary. :-( Thank you for all of the help & advice through this whole process, you're all amazing & my whole family appreciates it! I have a broody hen so I'm hoping she will sit on the JG'S eggs I have coming this week! Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom