Little roo with giant mega huge crop, worry?

Yes, they can starve, even with a full crop, if things aren't moving through the digestive track normally.
Right, so, since his crop is still full from last night something is certifiably wrong, correct?

The lady at the farm store recommended ACV, but I smell nothing amiss. I don't think it's infected, it is just full. I'd rather not have this little creature die on me, so, short of opening him up like a sausage, my only recourse now is either:

a) to tip him upside down and try to get him to puke;

b) shove mineral oil down his throat;

c) surgery.

Is that about the sum of it? Anyone have advice about how to go about a, b or c?

Trying to make him regurg may work. Not entirely sure about the mineral oil. (Someone here may know) Also not confident a small chick could survive any sort of surgery like that.
Good luck with the little guy!

Does he still have food available?

I would remove the food completely. Take him off of bedding and put him on towels. Maybe the food is moving slowly and he is continually eating keeping it packed full.
He is in isolation with water + ACV, no food, but grit. I'm thinking grit while his crop is full was a mistake. Removing the bedding is a good idea, I'll go do that.

Regarding being careful, that I've got in spades. I terrified to do anything here. That's why I'm asking / hoping for some sort of step by step if I need to do any of this.

Why don't you try some mineral oil or olive oil first? Give it to him a drop at a time and make sure he has swallowed before giving another. After you finish giving the oil, lightly massage the crop to work in into the mass of grains. Give it several hours and see if the crop has decreased in size at all. Make sure he gets lots to drink of plain water.

If it hasn't decreased in size, at least everything is well lubed for getting him to regurgitate. I'll see if I can find a video of this procedure for you in case it comes to it.

Dang it, so NO ACV in the water? Ugh! This is hard enough without all the different contradictory opinions. Or... well, my ignorance on what exactly is the problem. Any hints on how to dropper these bits of oil down his throat? If I get back in his mouth will he just swallow? Olive oil is a good idea by the way. I like that better than mineral oil conceptually.

Last edited:
Dang it, so NO ACV in the water? Ugh! This is hard enough without all the different contradictory opinions. Or... well, my ignorance on what exactly is the problem. Any hints on how to dropper these bits of oil down his through? If I get back in his mouth will he just swallow? Olive oil is a good idea by the way. I like that better than mineral oil conceptually.
You have to be careful. There is a tube at the back of the throat. That is the windpipe. When you are using a dropper, you want to aim for the sides of the mouth, not dead center.

Last edited:
Okay this video kind of talks you through the procedure, but on a hen instead of a chick. Ignore the stuff about baking soda, that's for sour crop.

With a chick, you should be able to hold in one hand and milk the crop with the fingers of the other hand. You can clamp the neck between your index and middle fingers with his back against your palm and use the remaining fingers to go around his body. Just remember that the food has to go from the crop up the esophagus in the neck, so keep that in mind when restraining. Make sure to stop massaging to let him breathe occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom