little upper beak

keystonepaul

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
Pocono
I have a chick that was born with little upper beak and a normal lower beak. Probably 3/4 or closer to 4/5ths of the upper beak is missing. The chick is about 6- 7 weeks old now and is growing, looks good and other than being a bit behind (not terribly) in growth from it's fellow hatchlings. I figured the upper beak might grow a bit as the bird grew but the lower beak grew normally with the bird and the upper beak just formed a small rounded bit of growth. I watched the bird peck at scratch like a normal bird and not pick up any and do the same at the feed station with the pellets. I know it's eating somehow, but not effectively. I'm inclined to do nothing and let it go as is, but am wondering if trimming the lower beak would make things a bit better or a lot worse?? Any thoughts. My Son's pretty attached so as long as it acts normal and looks healthy she won't be culled. Thanks much Keystonepaul

I've read posts that people use a deeper feeder so that chickens with beak problems can scoop up food, rather than peck at it. Good luck.

Imp

At 6-7 weeks, they should be on starter/grower rather than laying pellets. IS that what you're feeding? Or grower?

Also because he's behind in growth, I'd give him a nutritional booster once a day until he's caught up. Yogurt (1/2 teaspoon) to boost nutritional intake and D3 (for calcium absorbtion and rickets prevention and B vitamins for growth), some boiled/mashed egg yolk (freeze the rest sliced so you just pull out what you need). Two drops of PolyViSol vitamins in the beak (non-iron formula, please - see CVS as they apparently have it).

I'd suspect his lack of development is probably stemming from either a slow start or beginning nutritional inability to absorb. Thus the booster.

Back
Top Bottom