Little White Flies

Angela Thomson

Songster
6 Years
Aug 6, 2017
Southern Indiana
What in the world are these little white flies? They are driving my chickens nuts, and me! I dusted them with poultry dust and DE and they came back within the week.

Attachments

• White flies.jpg
    White flies.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 153
I can't see anything clear enough or close enough it the picture to tell what you are seeing. Here is a link with some pictures to help you ID if it's lice or mites and some treatment suggestions. If it's lice/mites you have to treat the birds and clean/treat the coop at the same time or they will just keep coming back. DE is not effective and can cause respiratory irritation. Usually you need to treat at least 3 times at 7 day intervals to kill them all.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

I thought mites were black? These are white and they fly. Google said mites don’t fly. I’m getting ready to tear that coop apart! Can’t believe they came back that quick.

I can't see anything clear enough or close enough it the picture to tell what you are seeing. Here is a link with some pictures to help you ID if it's lice or mites and some treatment suggestions. If it's lice/mites you have to treat the birds and clean/treat the coop at the same time or they will just keep coming back. DE is not effective and can cause respiratory irritation. Usually you need to treat at least 3 times at 7 day intervals to kill them all.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Attachments

• F40A691A-EE49-4EAF-8CA7-D4C7CD55B979.jpeg
    F40A691A-EE49-4EAF-8CA7-D4C7CD55B979.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 86
I'd check them with the photos in the link I gave you to see if they do have lice/mites.
It's also possible that they are just a species of fly or gnat that has hatched where you are and are swarming right now (I just can't see it with enough detail to guess). Where I am we have gnats that get around their faces and eyes and drive them crazy during the summer months. Being that there tends to be droppings where chickens are, flies are going to be attracted. I planted rosemary bushes in my run and the chickens lay down in them and it seems to help with the gnats some. You may be able to call your local agricultural office and get info on what particular insect it may be in your area right now.

I'd check them with the photos in the link I gave you to see if they do have lice/mites.
It's also possible that they are just a species of fly or gnat that has hatched where you are and are swarming right now (I just can't see it with enough detail to guess). Where I am we have gnats that get around their faces and eyes and drive them crazy during the summer months. Being that there tends to be droppings where chickens are, flies are going to be attracted. I planted rosemary bushes in my run and the chickens lay down in them and it seems to help with the gnats some. You may be able to call your local agricultural office and get info on what particular insect it may be in your area right now.
I looked at that site you sent and they don't look like mites. Maybe they are gnats and they are nasty. The chickens are twerking to get them off. I'm going to get some Elector PSP and spray everything. Maybe I'll get my new coop built quicker!

Back
Top Bottom