Littles eating grown ups feed

lleeme

Chirping
Apr 21, 2022
Water Valley, MS
Thinking I was smarter than chickens I bought a nice big feeder to use while transitioning my chicks in with the adult hens. It is in an area of the coop only they can get into.

Well, several of them are getting into the hens feeder out in the run. They are scattering the pellets all over.

The hens are on layer pellets which is bad for the littles. I have grabbed a few and taken them into the coop to eat from their feeder. I have also raised the height a few inches on the hens feeders.

The only other thing I can think of might me to mix the two feeds but then no one os getting the right stuff. I do not have the money this month to go buy flock raiser and oyster shells. Advice please.

Attachments

• 20220729_173100.jpg
    20220729_173100.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220729_173016.jpg
    20220729_173016.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 5
Thinking I was smarter than chickens I bought a nice big feeder to use while transitioning my chicks in with the adult hens. It is in an area of the coop only they can get into.

Well, several of them are getting into the hens feeder out in the run. They are scattering the pellets all over.

The hens are on layer pellets which is bad for the littles. I have grabbed a few and taken them into the coop to eat from their feeder. I have also raised the height a few inches on the hens feeders.

The only other thing I can think of might me to mix the two feeds but then no one os getting the right stuff. I do not have the money this month to go buy flock raiser and oyster shells. Advice please.
From my understanding it's only bad for them if it's the only feed they're getting. But is it possible for you to use the starter/grower for all hens with oyster shell on the side for the layers until everyone is on all flock?

Back
Top Bottom