Livestock guardian dogs

Pics
I use a BozShepherd/Kangal on my 300+ Acer ranch, he is socialized with ppl but his job is to protect the livestock he is with miniature cattle ,potbelly pig, free range chickens and ducks. It takes alot of work but the pay off is worth it. I sleep good at night knowing my critters are safe under his watchful eye. He will not tolerate large birds to land or wild hogs to cross into our ranch he takes his job seriously. When looking to purchase a guardian dog make sure you go to a breeder who raises the dogs AS GUARDIANS and go with livestock guardian breeds ONLY. They have been bred for 1000s of years to do the job. While many have success using there pet dogs of various breeds there has also been much heartache along with trying to use the incorrect breed..after all if you want to have a dog pull a sled your not going to use a pug , if you want a duck retrieving dog your not going to purchase a English bulldog ECT ECT ECT... Use the correct tool for the job. :)

No lgd bred for poultry. Other breeds have potential. No absolutes / only at this time. I and others have been doing it successfully for too long and most dogs despite current use have farmstedq guarding in their background which is much closer ideal for guarding poultry than what is done with herds for thousands of years.

I also do not peddle which can cause conflict of interest if advising.

People may want to check out this link before they buy a BozShepard.

http://www.texasworkingdogs.com/boz_shepherd_dog.htm

I don't know anything about them, but found that site disturbing.

Even the website is indicative of someone with an agenda.

The dog fighting part in the old world likely is part of selective breeding program either currently or in past with many LGD breeds. During actual work when threat is something like a wolf such might actually be informative but seldom does a working dog have the one on one situation. Single dog / coyote threats we deal with seldom get beyond a brief chase with interloper running off. Outright fights now seem to be restricted to threat getting trapped and then it is more than one dog taking on threat which makes so my dog much less likely to get hurt.

Even the website is indicative of someone with an agenda.

The dog fighting part in the old world likely is part of selective breeding program either currently or in past with many LGD breeds. During actual work when threat is something like a wolf such might actually be informative but seldom does a working dog have the one on one situation. Single dog / coyote threats we deal with seldom get beyond a brief chase with interloper running off. Outright fights now seem to be restricted to threat getting trapped and then it is more than one dog taking on threat which makes so my dog much less likely to get hurt.

Could be. Or someone who purchased one from a breeder who misrepresented his dogs and seeks to warn others. Not only did the dog kill everything it was supposed to protect, looks like the breeder has some genetic issues. I'd sure be ****** if it happened to me.

I have seen more people have more issues with under trained guardian dogs than I have heard about them having success. This usually ends with a lot of dead chickens so be careful.

The training part usually cost more than initial cost of dog when starting with pup for chickens. Feed and minimal vet bills most predictable but your time and dog slip ups must also be factored in.

My Pyrs have been amazing, purely amazing. No predator losses since they came, and I can count the puppy mistakes (my mistakes, really) on one hand, while a predator took 10-12 birds in one night last summer. It isn't easy, and I know many people who I'd never recommend an LGD to, but it has worked for me.

My Pyrs have been amazing, purely amazing. No predator losses since they came, and I can count the puppy mistakes (my mistakes, really) on one hand, while a predator took 10-12 birds in one night last summer. It isn't easy, and I know many people who I'd never recommend an LGD to, but it has worked for me.
Run those dogs through their productive lifespans and acquire replacements as needed. Then you will have a firmer handle on costs and benefits. So far you have enjoyed a virtual cakewalk but their will be challenges ahead. Most will be easy to deal with after encountering them for first time.

I have a Pyr too and like you, can count the losses on on hand since owning her. Not due to her, but just during her growing up and learning period. It didn't really take anything but about two weeks of working with her when she was a pup to teach her not to play with the chickens. After that period, she was off the leash and on her own. She doesn't really roam (I'm not fenced) because she is always within calling distance. I read that other people say their Pyrs roam miles when they get loose. She has her bounderies and she recognizes the other neighbor dogs territory, so she has not caused problems. Before her, I would come home to several dead birds laying in the yard or the whole flock gone. Coyotes and other peoples roaming dogs have given me my biggest losses. I have seen her in action with those roaming dogs and she sure knows how to keep their attention off of the flock when they come by. I had a whole pack of greyhounds that had escaped their enclosure show up on my drive one day and I grabbed the gun just in case. I thought no way would she keep up with them. Luckily they went on down the road. Another day some lost hunting beagles showed up. She sent them on their way. She seems to know which ones have no interest in the birds and which ones do because she treats them differently. There are two neighbor dogs that she is always on their tail and another neighbors dog that just gets a courtesy bark and a butt sniff.
If I could change one thing about her, it would be her coat! It's getting to be that time of year again for a major workout of washing and brushing, brushing and brushing to get her ready for summer heat. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom