llama reguratation

nop169

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Hi all,
I have a friend with a llama that has begun to cough/choke & regurgatate while eating grain - I am limited in knowledge with these guys but I know I read that this can be either from "choking" from "gobbling" feed or can be a congenital issue??? This animal is middle age (somewhere between 4 & 6 years old) and is pastured with horses/donkeys/sheep. They feed a mix of alfalfa & cracked corn. She is wondering if she switches to the llama pellet diet if it will help with this issue.
I thought I had read of a parasite issue that could also cause this.....
Anyway - thought I would ask all of you guys to steer us in the right direction.... her farm vet has no experience with llamas so...... any ideas?
Thanks

Hi I have llamas,so i help this helps! Choke is a condition in which the llama eats so quickly that some grain becomes lodged in the esophagus, and the llama coughs strenuously to bring it back up. Choke can become a serious problem, and switching to a different type of feed is recommended if choke occurs regularly.Their is a bowl that makes dogs slow down,you could always buy that and have that as the food bowl.

Try feeding a smaller size pellet. Or feed in a larger dish so the pellets spread out and the llama has to work to pick up the food and can't grab big mouthfuls.

Back
Top Bottom