Local feed - 10% laying mash. Is this a good option?

goldfishes

Songster
6 Years
Jun 13, 2014
WV
Previously, I was feeding Southern States 16% and it was so dusty, they were throwing it on the ground to pick out the bigger pieces. I was also having issues with rubber eggs and it was suggested I switch feed. So I started integrating in Dumor 16% layer feed and it was better, the rubber eggs have went away, but they also wasted a lot and I noticed one awful side effect: the girls poop was smelling awful! It has been so bad that even with daily picking it reeked in the run and coop. The smell is a big issue as we live in the city and don't want to offend neighbors. So I went searching for a new food. My mom told me about a feed store my Grandma used to go and get organic feed, so we decided to check it out.

Turns out, they make their own feed in addition to a few other brands. It smells amazing and had a bigger consistency to it. It's made with oats, wheat, corn and other grains mixed in with animal protein. In the picture below, you can see the three feeds mixed together. The lightest sandy stuff throughout is the Southern States brand, the darker granules near the bottom is the Dumor and the larger pieces near the top is the local feed. I took some out to the chickens to try out and they went bananas. They were pushing, shoving, and even the shy ones were running with mouthfuls away from the others.

So it's definitely a hit, but I'm a little concerned with the guaranteed analysis, particularly the protein. Is this too low of a protein for them? If so, does it count that I give them a few handfuls of meal worms every week? Would that help with the low protein?

I am really new to chickens and I want to make sure this is a good option for them. I love the idea of using locally grown, locally milled feed, but I also want happy, healthy birds.

It is possible it is a typographical error. I looked at their website, and they do sell a 10% sweet grain mix. I will call tomorrow. If it is only 10%, can I supplement with some meal worms or other high protein foods until the bag runs out? I can't afford to replace it and unfortunately, I mixed it with 25 lbs of other feed so I can't return it.

Back
Top Bottom