Lockdown day for quail

Had some night crawlers left over from fishing, just gave them a couple, they was a little skeptical at first, but then they went crazy over them...they digging looking for more

I have looked and read about color sexing, wondering if im right...the white one im not sure of..but 2nd pic girl..3rd boy and 4th girl..if im wrong someone please tell me

I don't think the colors on those pics can be feather sexed. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, only the wild colored ones, possibly cinnamon and silver versions of the wild color and I think the golden colors as well, can be sexed by color. I'm not certain what color the one in the 3. pic has, but it doesn't look 'feather sexable' to me.

I don't think the colors on those pics can be feather sexed. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, only the wild colored ones, possibly cinnamon and silver versions of the wild color and I think the golden colors as well, can be sexed by color. I'm not certain what color the one in the 3. pic has, but it doesn't look 'feather sexable' to me. 

I agree :p There are three other ways to sex them - vent sexing (can be difficult determining, has a chance of hurting the quail, foam can mean mated female not a male), "beer sexing" which is grabbing a beer to sit and drink and watch their behaviour for male and female characteristics and a quicker version of this from a poster (forget their name!) said they throw in a bunch of meal worms and the males will tidbit for the girls, but it's not foolproof either as one of my girls tidbits certain treats :p and some males won't tidbit (I have one of those, maybe it's because he became sexually mature in the fall not during breeding season) but rather gobble up what they can like a hen xD

At about six weeks the males will start making male noises (grunts and crows but um you guessed it - girls rarely do it too lol) and trying to mate with girls and boys. Young males can really hurt other quail by fighting males/poor mating technique combined with the hens and guys not wanting to be mated so be ready with a few setups if you have to pull out an aggressor/seperate the injured :O

Back
Top Bottom