Lockdown Humidity Help Needed

PolentaDragon

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
I'm desperately trying to get the humidity up to the 65%-70% recommended for lockdown. I've got both channels filled with sponges AND a cloth across the bottom and I've got it in a smaller room with a humidifier right beside it AND a wet towel across the outside and it still only reads 55%. I'm going to try to track down a hygrometer today so I can test if it's accurate on the incubator (Brinsea Octogon) but we're in a very remote area, so it's not very likely. Assuming it's not reading dangerously low, is there anything else I can possibly to do get the humidity up another 10%?

What are the chances of a successful hatch if I can't? I know WHY the humidity is necessary - but can anyone tell me if they've hatched successfully at lower lockdown humidity?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions!

Hi, I'm doing my first incubator hatch ever, and I'm using an octagon eco as well. I had problems with my humidity as well, but then I realized the lid wasn't on all the way. Check that and make sure EVERY corner is secure, and if that isn't the problem, try closing the vent way down. Before I realized my mistake, I put a piece of felt letting it drape into both water-filled channels. I had it in a small room with a humidifier, and the vent was practically closed. So the lid could definitely be your problem,.
Humidity is extremely important. If it isn't high enough your chicks could "shrink-wrap". I personally don't know how that works, but lots of people have that problem.
When they start hatching, if you open the lid the humidity will go way down, so you should leave it closed as much as possible.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I'm desperately trying to get the humidity up to the 65%-70% recommended for lockdown. I've got both channels filled with sponges AND a cloth across the bottom and I've got it in a smaller room with a humidifier right beside it AND a wet towel across the outside and it still only reads 55%. I'm going to try to track down a hygrometer today so I can test if it's accurate on the incubator (Brinsea Octogon) but we're in a very remote area, so it's not very likely. Assuming it's not reading dangerously low, is there anything else I can possibly to do get the humidity up another 10%?

What are the chances of a successful hatch if I can't? I know WHY the humidity is necessary - but can anyone tell me if they've hatched successfully at lower lockdown humidity?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions!
Wow, all of that and you are still reading low? I'm thinking you have a faulty hygrometer. Do you have the Advance with the display on the front that you are using for humidity? Did you just add the water, and is it cold? If so, give it a few hours to stabilize. Have you closed the air vent down? Is your top on good? Even in the winter, with very dry air, I can maintain 65% with both wells full, a paper towel across the bottom, and the air vent 2/3 shut in my Octagon 20.
If you have done all that, even reading low I would go with what you have and hope for the best

Hi, I'm doing my first incubator hatch ever, and I'm using an octagon eco as well. I had problems with my humidity as well, but then I realized the lid wasn't on all the way. Check that and make sure EVERY corner is secure, and if that isn't the problem, try closing the vent way down. Before I realized my mistake, I put a piece of felt letting it drape into both water-filled channels. I had it in a small room with a humidifier, and the vent was practically closed. So the lid could definitely be your problem,.
Humidity is extremely important. If it isn't high enough your chicks could "shrink-wrap". I personally don't know how that works, but lots of people have that problem.
When they start hatching, if you open the lid the humidity will go way down, so you should leave it closed as much as possible.

Hope this helps, good luck!
I was hoping you would chime in. Your experience was exactly why I mentioned the lid

Thank you all for your suggestions
smile.png

It's definitely not the lid - I checked to make sure. I haven't opened it since yesterday when I put the cloth in at the bottom to increase the surface area, so I would think it's had plenty of time to get the humidity up. Like I said, I do understand why the humidity needs to be high for lockdown.

I've read that the vent should be 2/3 open for lockdown, because the chicks need the oxygen for hatching, so I've been reluctant to close it more than half way. But if you say you had a successful hatch with it only 1/3 open I will try it - don't know what else to try!

Is there any way I can tell if it's sufficiently humid without an external hygrometer? Maybe by the amount of condensation built up on the lid, for example? I'm thinking scflock is right, it's probably just a faulty hygrometer, so if there's nothing else to try I guess I'll just hope for the best.

Thank you all for your suggestions
smile.png

It's definitely not the lid - I checked to make sure. I haven't opened it since yesterday when I put the cloth in at the bottom to increase the surface area, so I would think it's had plenty of time to get the humidity up. Like I said, I do understand why the humidity needs to be high for lockdown.

I've read that the vent should be 2/3 open for lockdown, because the chicks need the oxygen for hatching, so I've been reluctant to close it more than half way. But if you say you had a successful hatch with it only 1/3 open I will try it - don't know what else to try!

Is there any way I can tell if it's sufficiently humid without an external hygrometer? Maybe by the amount of condensation built up on the lid, for example? I'm thinking scflock is right, it's probably just a faulty hygrometer, so if there's nothing else to try I guess I'll just hope for the best.
If you have any condensation on the lid, then you are fine. The Brinsea owners manual says not to run less than 1/3 open, but during the winter I hatched at 1/4 open with great success. I wouldn't hesitate to go to 1/3. Either your lid is cracked open, or your hygrometer is wrong. There is no way that you have done all that and the humidity is only 55%. I say let it ride for this hatch, then get a good hygrometer. If you find that the one on the Brinsea is faulty, you have a 2 year warranty if you registered it, and their customer service is fantastic

Wow, all of that and you are still reading low? I'm thinking you have a faulty hygrometer. Do you have the Advance with the display on the front that you are using for humidity? Did you just add the water, and is it cold? If so, give it a few hours to stabilize. Have you closed the air vent down? Is your top on good? Even in the winter, with very dry air, I can maintain 65% with both wells full, a paper towel across the bottom, and the air vent 2/3 shut in my Octagon 20.
If you have done all that, even reading low I would go with what you have and hope for the best
xs 2. I'd question the accuracy of the hygrometer. With that much moisture it should be well above that. Is there any condensation in the bator? I would not worry with that much water in the bator. Just don't open more than neccessary to be on the safe side- unless you have condensation, then you know you have more than you need.

Back
Top Bottom