Lone duck with geese

Ken157

Hatching
Jun 10, 2023
My ducks mate has passed away and I've moved away from other ducks so he is alone with chickens. I do want to get him some companions but I'm wondering if it's ok to get 2 geese or i should only get him 2 ducks

My ducks mate has passed away and I've moved away from other ducks so he is alone with chickens. I do want to get him some companions but I'm wondering if it's ok to get 2 geese or i should only get him 2 ducks
Very sorry for your loss. I agree getting a couple of duck buddies would be best.

:welcome

Definitely ducks over geese companions.
This duck you have left is male, right? I would be very careful about keeping him with the chickens. Males can try to breed chickens when they have no other options and can damage or kill the hens trying. Their anatomy is not compatible with a chickens and can cause trauma or a prolapse.

I have chickens, runner ducks and geese that are all loose together during the day, but housed separately at night. My geese are not overly nice to any birds except each other. They don't necessarily harm my runner ducks, but they do "herd" them around the yard for no apparent reason. The goose girls definitely run the poultry hierarchy. They hang out with each other, not the ducks.

I think getting two more ducks (and, ideally both females!) would be a much better option.

I'm sorry about the loss of your duck's mate, and I hope you find a workable solution for both of you.

Back
Top Bottom