Lone Survivor

Pygmalion

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Hello guys. I have been learning a lot from this really cool forum. But I am here with bad news.

I purchased two baby chicks about a week ago. Birds really like me and they grew attached very quickly. They were awesome and loved me and I them. But they saw me as their mother and wanted my wing to protect them. I was bad and tried to accommodate for them.

So last night they would not shut up (raining) so we all fell asleep together. When I woke, my little one was dead and it really effected me. I too was attached.

This morning my other chick (Yin, Yang died) learned how to use her wings. Now she will not shut up and is extremely needy. She will fly on to my shoulder and just cry on it. Tries and nest in my hair and will not take no for an answer when trying to enter my tent.

I live remotely (off the grid) and after I purchased them, I have been the only human they have seen. I learned my lesson but how can I help Yin with the grieving process? What about me? I do not really want to get more chicks. Yang's death really broke me up.

I am also interested in methods to train Yin how to not be too noisy. Any suggestions given the information provided would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Wendell

I so understand what a blow it is when a bird you've bonded to dies. But I think you can probably expect Yin to be a bit of a pest as long as you're her only friend. Time will lessen how frantic she is about it, though.

She is doing fine. Just learning how to use her wings. Very needy still: a lap chicken which I am trying to phase out. She is very happy. Just constant "tweets". My head rests when she falls asleep because her noise stops. It is like she has ADD, and has to constantly hear herself tweeting in order to keep breathing. They are not whines. And she is learning how to use her wings and even though tiby, can jump higher than my height (6 foot). Annoying when she keeps flying onto my shoulder. Always wanting a lap snuggling into my clothes. All of this is not new as they both did it since I got them. Maybe its a chick thing but it is annoying. Going to start listening to music with earphones to drown her out. Not very loud but constant.

She is so stupid. Today she flew onto the burner of my stove while I was cooking. She realised and got off really quickly, luckily inflicting no wounds. Only two days ago she had hardly any feathers. Now she has beautiful golden ones. And no matter what I do, it is like she needs me to do it with her. Both Yin and Yang were like this since the day I got them. They bonded with me right after I brought them home to my amazing garden. And when I leave, I have to crate her securely or she will follow me (or try and get lost).

She needs to grow up quickly. Probably around 2 weeks old now. How long will these character traits continue?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom