Lonely chicken

gemmab

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Hello,

I'm new to BackYard Chickens, and keeping chickens in general. In early March we adopted two two-week-old chickens. We kept them inside under a heat lamp for about 6 weeks, and then moved them outside to a spacious coop and run. They seemed to be thriving, and they were totally inseparable and so friendly. This Sunday we found one of the chickens (a Cochin) dead in the run. We think she overheated (after pleading with my husband for days to let me bring them back inside again to escape the heat). The other chicken was snuggled up with her body before we found her :( We were devastated.

So now we have a single girl (an Orpington), and she is so lonely. She is living inside for now, but if we leave her alone for too long she squarks and squarks until we go and see her. She's been sitting on our laps, cooing at us, and she keeps looking around for the other chicken.

Do you think it would be a good idea to introduce another chicken so she isn't so lonely? If so, would you recommend one the same age, or a chick? And would it be a good idea to go with another Cochin?

I'm just worried if we get another one that she would reject her, and we would end up with two chickens who don't get along.

Thanks for any advice you have.

I would suggest getting another chicken for her to be with. From all I have read, chickens can get lonely and die. Introducing a new one has challenges, so be patient. Lots of good integration advice can be found on this forum.

Hopefully others will respond here too.

Hello,

I'm new to BackYard Chickens, and keeping chickens in general. In early March we adopted two two-week-old chickens. We kept them inside under a heat lamp for about 6 weeks, and then moved them outside to a spacious coop and run. They seemed to be thriving, and they were totally inseparable and so friendly. This Sunday we found one of the chickens (a Cochin) dead in the run. We think she overheated (after pleading with my husband for days to let me bring them back inside again to escape the heat). The other chicken was snuggled up with her body before we found her :( We were devastated.

So now we have a single girl (an Orpington), and she is so lonely. She is living inside for now, but if we leave her alone for too long she squarks and squarks until we go and see her. She's been sitting on our laps, cooing at us, and she keeps looking around for the other chicken.

Do you think it would be a good idea to introduce another chicken so she isn't so lonely? If so, would you recommend one the same age, or a chick? And would it be a good idea to go with another Cochin?

I'm just worried if we get another one that she would reject her, and we would end up with two chickens who don't get along.

Thanks for any advice you have.
Get her another chicken friend,if you dont mind then why not a rooster?I had a rooster and hen that were fighting(the rooster attacked the hen) but today after 3 days of being together they are good friends.I think that the change from a big coop to a tiny one made a difference because if they are close together then they have nowhere far to run so they learn to live with each other.I raise my chickens in an open outdoor cage in the hot climate of iran,qom and my chickens survive and enjoy life.

I'd get a couple more. Make sure they are about the same size. If your wanting a different breed that's fine just make sure they can handle your climate, She will be happier having some buddies. Good Luck.

I'd get a couple more. Make sure they are about the same size. If your wanting a different breed that's fine just make sure they can handle your climate, She will be happier having some buddies. Good Luck.
Actually that is a good idea.......if you have space for many chickens

Thanks for the advice.

Our city ordinance doesn't allow for roosters, but we can have up to three chickens without a license. I think we'll start with just one more, and then try a third.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom