Lonely year old bantom rooster "Is he protecting the baby chicks?"

Majestic

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2024
Long story short my beautiful Old English Bantam rooster was chased out of his small flock several months ago. He is my favorite and we seem to have a big bond he's very friendly and has become part of the human family. I know he needs to be with other chickens to survive so we purchased several chicks last month some will stay and some will be going to other small hobby farms when they are older. Pewee the small bantam rooster sits on top of the larger brooder I built and alert me of everything that goes near and also sits in a chair or on the stand in front of it ans seems to communicate with the chicks who are 2 and 3 weeks old now. My question is when its time to go outside how do I physically introduce him back outside with chick's. Hes been inside become a true pet chicken and the brooder is also inside so they are exposed to eachother already just can't get to eachother mixed chicks barred rock. 4 bantams RIR some cinnamon queen cream legbar. all beautiful friendly chicks. And outside free ranging there is 2 Jersey hens and one Jersey rooster. and also one backyard mix older docile rooster. Ps the chick's and pewee will not be free ranging. Need help planning how and when to get these chicks and pewee outside

Long story short my beautiful Old English Bantam rooster was chased out of his small flock several months ago. He is my favorite and we seem to have a big bond he's very friendly and has become part of the human family. I know he needs to be with other chickens to survive so we purchased several chicks last month some will stay and some will be going to other small hobby farms when they are older. Pewee the small bantam rooster sits on top of the larger brooder I built and alert me of everything that goes near and also sits in a chair or on the stand in front of it ans seems to communicate with the chicks who are 2 and 3 weeks old now. My question is when its time to go outside how do I physically introduce him back outside with chick's. Hes been inside become a true pet chicken and the brooder is also inside so they are exposed to eachother already just can't get to eachother mixed chicks barred rock. 4 bantams RIR some cinnamon queen cream legbar. all beautiful friendly chicks. And outside free ranging there is 2 Jersey hens and one Jersey rooster. and also one backyard mix older docile rooster. Ps the chick's and pewee will not be free ranging. Need help planning how and when to get these chicks and pewee outside

This link above is what I would do if I were you. How old are the chicks? Are they still inside? You should definitely watch the video above. If Pewee is with the chicks, include him in this practice to get the chicks and the roo acclimated to outside and the other chickens.

At least half of it he seems to be on guard
20240503_104849.jpg
here's the brooder before it was finished off with doors its 6x3 with room to expand on both top and bottom and I also included the screened areas but right on top is where he sits and at one of the front doors that isn't included has 1/2 hardware cloth for doors

View attachment 3819625here's the brooder before it was finished off with doors its 6x3 with room to expand on both top and bottom and I also included the screened areas but right on top is where he sits and at one of the front doors that isn't included has 1/2 hardware cloth for doors
I would take advice from the video on how to integrate the chicks with the older chickens. It should go pretty smoothly for you! Does pewee stay with the chicks or with the older chickens?

I would take advice from the video on how to integrate the chicks with the older chickens. It should go pretty smoothly for you! Does pewee stay with the chicks or with the older chickens?
He goes to bed in a cockatiel cage with the door open unfortunately after he was kicked out of the coop and and it was winter I brought him in to live inside he has went outside but immediately goes after the Jersey rooster who believe it or not is only about 3 months younger than pewee. They were all supposed to have been pullets not the case ended up with 3 roosters and 3 hens s
20240503_102703.jpg

He goes to bed in a cockatiel cage with the door open unfortunately after he was kicked out of the coop and and it was winter I brought him in to live inside he has went outside but immediately goes after the Jersey rooster who believe it or not is only about 3 months younger than pewee. They were all supposed to have been pullets not the case ended up with 3 roosters and 3 hens sView attachment 3819642
Just slowly integrate the chicks in with your flock as in the video! Everything should work just fine! On a side note, your dandelions are SO beautiful in this picture!! LOL

Best wishes to you!
Let me know if you have any more questions!

Back
Top Bottom