Lonesome

Rememberthedeer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
I used to have 3 pekin ducks, but I recently just lost two of them, so now I only have one. Is he going to get lonely? Or do pekin ducks do fine on their own. I've read that they will follow you around, so now that he's on his own will he start following me? Or will he keep his distance as usual?

Hard to say, but in general, they seem more content with other ducks around. It can be a challenge to integrate new ducks, but you might consider adopting a couple of rescued ducks....

If they were used to being with the other 2 all the time, then I think they will be happiest with other ducks. They can imprint on a human or other animal, but that process occurs when they are young, so they probably imprinted on the other ducks, and won't be happy without other duck companions. I just swapped out two male pekins for four female ones from a friend's farm, and had no issues at all with the flock adapting - in fact, my one remaining male seems quite ecstatic about having 6 females to be with. The funny thing is he simply follows them around.

I can't get any more ducks until the spring, will he be fine on his own until then? If not, what can I do to help keep him happy until I get more?

I can't get any more ducks until the spring, will he be fine on his own until then? If not, what can I do to help keep him happy until I get more?
Spend a lot of time with him, Being lonely isn't good for ducks. during the winter if you can find a bird safe mirror maybe mount it inside his house where at least he can see himself. I have one in my goose house. Too bad you can't check into getting a couple of rescues before next spring. Did you lose your other 2 to predation? if so I hope you have fixed the problem so this one doesn't end up on someone dinner menu. Craigslist is a great place to look for unwanted ducks.

Ok, thanks I'll try to hang around him more often, and I'll look for a mirror.
The other two ducks were males as well and one was really aggressive, it even attacked the dog and it was constantly fighting the other ducks. So we had to put it down, and my dad killed the second one because he didn't want these two to start fighting either.
sad.png
But he left my favorite duck for me and promised that we'd try and get some females in the spring. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
smile.png

Yes, it's sad, we didn't want it to end this way but we really didn't have a choice. Nobody in our area is interested in pet ducks. I apologize if this story offended anybody. If we do get more ducks, we will get females so that they won't fight and we won't have to get rid of them.

That is a sad story. Please don't get any more ducks.

This is very unfair of you, MrsDolittleDuck.

I would actually say the solution would be for Rememberthedeer to get more ducks so the remaining Pekin would be with its own kind. It sounds like that's not an option right now so RTD is trying to make the remaining Pekin as happy as possible.

I notice you didn't offer to take the remaining drake to ensure its life was rich and cuddly. So easy to judge so hard to actually help.

RTD, you're doing the best you can. Do see if you can find some ducks for your little feathery friend but as others have said just spend as much time outside as possible with him. I had a drake that lost all of his females and adopted me (until I got him more months later - when I could). It was the highlight of his day when I opened the door. I talked to him constantly and he "helped" me in my yardwork.

It's hard to plan for things that go wrong with your flock and it's smart breeding even (especially?) for "pet" livestock to cull the aggressive ones. The board is full of people at wits end after adopting aggressive birds to the detriment of their existing fowl or even dogs and kids.

Personally? Anything that's needlessly aggressive here gets culled so it doesn't pass that trait along to offspring. You realize that NOT doing that is why pit bulls are villified.

Good luck to you RTD and your little Pekin drake. I feel for him, I know how they behave when lonely. Ignore MrsDolittleDuck and get him some duck friends as soon as your are able. Until that point, you're going to have to be his duck friend. And it sounds like you're willing to do so. Talk to him, hang with him, even if he doesn't want you to touch him he wants you to interact with him. He's now your pal and you're his.

There are worse things to be :)

Back
Top Bottom