Grateful Dad

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone,
My names Joe and my family and I live in western Massachusetts.
This year we are going to get some chicks from the agway in town, New Hamphires or Red sex link, i guess they are about the same.??My 4 year old chose them, our choices were barred plymouth rock, rhode island reds, white leghorns or red sex..so we look up pictures to see which were most appealing to the girl and it was the red sex link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information
so I read most of this, then about half way thru looked at cute pictures..
I believe the local store is only offering breeds that are hearty to this climate, hence only 4 choices, now here is where all the questions come in..
A little about me first.
I am no stranger to animals or raising animals or farming , so I am not doing this on a whim per my 4 year olds request..so trolls can stop reading now.
My wife and I want to instill the same ideals we have which is independence.Teaching our children skills we have learned over the years at an early age so it is second nature.
My father has always had chickens, turkeys and Chinese phesants since I was a kid and our family has enjoyed the fruits of his labor, but now he is beyond those labors and I want to bring it to our home.
I am doing research here and I am loving all the information, but I am also worried about climate and predators.
So far this has brought me alot of info https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-faqs-the-frequent-asked-questions-of-raising-chickens
Where we live, there are racoons, bears ( one was um 10 feet from my door ) skunks, stray cats...thats alot of bb's I think I may need a real gun. Really I only saw the bear once..but chicken is awefully tasty ..is it possible to build a bomb shelter just for fresh eggs and smiles or should I not worry so much??
In my head it plays out like this.
Chickens out and free in the sun eating bugs and worms from the compost during the day and wrangled into the hen house at dusk.
I just dont want to build a hen jail with barb wire.
doable?
Joe

My entire flock ranges freely over my nearly two-thirds of an acre all day long and put themselves into the coop at night, all locked up. I know there is bear here because a month after I moved in, I nearly hit a young one crossing the road in front of my house!

I do have my property fenced with 5 foot tall "no climb" fencing, AND I use those Nite Guard lights outside the coop and on the fence line. Some folks pooh-pooh those, but it stopped raccoon predation of my goldfish ponds where I used to live (and had chickens).

It IS doable.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC from nothern Michigan
frow.gif

New Hampshires and red sex links are indeed different - sex links are a hybred cross between two breeds, usually Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks, while NH's are a pure bred fowl. Both are good choices for egg laying.

You might enjoy reading through the Henderson chicken chart, google it and you will easily find the link.

wow that is great info, so as a first timer I feel I cant go wrong with the Plymouth Rock, since I am worried how they will do in the cold, and with the kids.

Welcome to BackYardChickens. We raised chickens in Alaska without any problems from the bears but, one did vandalize our rabbit hutch and kill the rabbit. Where e live now the biggest daytime threat is hawks thus, we have a covered pen. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom