Long time reader, first time poster

KlopKlop

Crowing
Jun 3, 2015
Southern Minnesota
I have been creeping this site for about 2 years learning much and now that I have had chickens for a while I am finally feeling up to sharing my chicken adventures. I prefer to try things for a while before I share. I look forward to sharing my ideas for designs related to my coop, yard, and things I have learned along the way.

I live on a small hobby farm in southern Minnesota with my wife and two dogs.

Our long term poultry goals are to keep ourselves and our families supplied with sustainable, 'free range' meat and eggs as well as sell eggs on the side to help pay the feed bill and maintain the flock.

So far my flock includes:
5 Leghorn hens - 18 months (3-4 eggs a day)
1 hybrid hen - 7 months (nearly an egg every day)
6 Black Australop pullets - 9 weeks
5 Rhode Island Red pullets - 9 weeks
1 Buckeye rooster - 1 year and 12 lbs!
12 black Australop hens - 14 months 10-11 eggs a day
5 silver laced wyandotte pullets - 13 weeks
4 barred rock pullets - 13 weeks
11 Rhode Island Red pullets - 13 weeks
26 (of 30) Cornish X cox - 9 weeks and ready for freezer camp
21 (of 25) Dixie Rainbows - 9 weeks. Cox go to camp in 4 weeks, pullets will be bred to the buckeye eventually for next years broilers

I look forward to discussing chickens with you all!

Klop

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) You have a nice mix of breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) You have a nice mix of breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Can a molt cause the eggs to be pale brown?

Can a molt cause the eggs to be pale brown?
Yes, if the hen is laying while molting, there can be a loss of the brown pigment in the eggs. Other factors that can cause a reduction in the brown pigment are abnormal heat and humidity levels, stress caused by noise and other disturbances, parasites such as skin parasites or internal worms, toxins in the environment such as mold, fungi, bacteria, etc., nutritional deficiencies, diseases, and chemotheraputic agents or drugs such as sulfonamides and Nicarbazin.

Glad you joined the BYC flock
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom