Longest time without hens laying

Lisafitz

Chirping
Sep 1, 2019
Coastal North Carolina
Not sure if this is the right forum so please let me know if it should be moved. We purchased a coop and established flock on August 12 2019. The flock had one broody who hatched two eggs for us (not her own) in September 2019. She has never laid an egg since we had her. Another hen who came with her pullet (not sure if it’s hers or not) who also has never laid. She looks old but I have no idea how old. That pullet is now a minimum of 7 months old though could be older as I’m guessing size at time of purchase. She has also never laid. And then two other hens who were laying but stopped in November for a molt and now I’m guessing darkness as both are fully feathered and have been for over a month. So my questions are: what is the longest time hens you know have gone without laying if they were laying regularly before? And what is the longest it took for a pullet to start laying? The pullet we hatched in September hasn’t started but I figure she is too young. Is there anyway to attempt a guess at a hen’s age? The two broodys have never laid but I guess they may be too old? I don’t know if any are a particular breed or not. They all look somewhat like mixes. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I feed them all flock due to varying ages and I have a cockerel. They free range all day

Is it possible they are laying somewhere you can’t find the eggs? They tend to do that a lot, and egg laying does slow down in winter. Also time to adjust to a new home but since last August is plenty of time. I’m not sure, just try looking in places they may have found to lay their eggs?

Thank you for the response. So the ones that came with the coop free ranged but came back to lay. They typically follow the fence line which is wooded or our back yard even though they could roam much further away. I’ve checked the areas and found nothing yet. Also the ones that did lay used to make such noises pre and post lay but I haven’t heard from any of them.

How old were they when you bought them? If you bought birds that have molted they are at least 1 year old. What breed are they? If they are a breed that normally has yellow legs, an older chicken will have 'washed out' yellow on her legs. The feet and legs will be thicker than a pullets leg also.
You can check the vent too. If it is pale and dry, she is done laying. If it's pink and moist she has eggs to come.
Your recent hatches should start to lay around March time I would guess.
Pullets can sometimes delay laying until the light improves, so possibly around March time also.
I think maybe you have got some 'old ladies' there, they will be useful as broodies tho' :)

I don't have any answers for you but just wanted to wish you well, hoping those girls start laying again soon. Do you think the previous owner misrepresented the chickens' age?
Regardless, you have some good lawn fertilizers and bug decimators, even if you never get another egg.

How old were they when you bought them? If you bought birds that have molted they are at least 1 year old. What breed are they? If they are a breed that normally has yellow legs, an older chicken will have 'washed out' yellow on her legs. The feet and legs will be thicker than a pullets leg also.
You can check the vent too. If it is pale and dry, she is done laying. If it's pink and moist she has eggs to come.
Your recent hatches should start to lay around March time I would guess.
Pullets can sometimes delay laying until the light improves, so possibly around March time also.
I think maybe you have got some 'old ladies' there, they will be useful as broodies tho' :)
Not sure hold old they were but I’m guessing one is quite old just based on her looks! They are all healthy and feathered though so that’s a plus and so far they have kept the cockerel in check.

Back
Top Bottom