LOOK! Please help my Dorothy!

Brennychicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
Northern California
Hello all, please lend me your expertise to help my little girl! She has been acting pretty normal, but has this eye "thing" going on. I started treatment on Sunday with tetracycline, and have had the ACV in the water the entire time. I really need to know if there is anything more that I need to do, and thank you so much! Here are some pics before my husband wiped the eye with the warm, wet cloth.

Last edited:
please please! I have read something about a saline soultion, anyone know anything about that? Thanks.

The only saline solution that would be safe is the one humans use for cleaning contact lenses. It wouldn't hurt as a way to clean the eye but I don't believe it will solve the problem. It is actually a medical condition that I have dealt with. My vet gave me a medicated eye drop to use several times a day on my chick. It may have been antibiotic but not sure. It made the eye better but took a long time to completely go away. My hen's eye is still runny occasionally and she is a year old. Untreated, my chicken health book says it can cause blindness in some cases. But my hen is healthy and just as normal as the others.
smile.png

Thank you so much! Do you happen to know what the medicine drops were called? I read something on a similar thread about Vetericyn (to put on the eye), could this possibly be it? Thanks again.

She may need a medicated eye drop but you can make your own saline solution to clean her eyes if not. Boil about 2 cups of water with 1 Tblsp of non-iodized salt for a couple of minutes, cool and then use cotton balls to soak up and clean eyes.

when mine had a sinus infection that affected the eyes, my small animal vet gave me an eye ointment that ironically was designed for humans, but also an eye cream for pink eye in sheep/ cattle. it just relieved the pain a little. the vet should be able to give you something for it. however be aware that she may be blind in that eye permantly. this can affect them, but usually in the long run they can live fine and happy lives with one eye

Thank you so much! Do you happen to know what the medicine drops were called? I read something on a similar thread about Vetericyn (to put on the eye), could this possibly be it? Thanks again.

The medicine the vet gave me is TOBRAMYCIN OPHTHALMIC SOLUTION, USP. After reading the box, I don't think it is antibiotic but it did help clear up the eye.

Tobramycin is an antibiotic for bacterial conjunctivitis (swelling of they conjunctiva (eye tissue) due to bacterial infection.) Pretty much clears up pink eye. Pharmacy tech over here! :) I suppose it is like a human eye infection; something icky gets in the eye and colonizes. It sure looks like a bacterial infection. Probably got some poop in that eye and bacteria has found a lovely place to live and grow. Is it making the chick wheezy or breathe funny? Or is it just a weepy gross eye? The saline solution will gently moisten, loosen, and wash away the ick and also help heal and clear the eye without damaging it. A human contact solution might work, it's pH is buffered to be gentle on the eye tissue. Try gently flushing it like you would your own eye. Use a very gentle stream, not a full squeeze out of the bottle.

Thank you all so much for your help! The antibiotics have almost completely run their course, and she is totally fine. I did use the Vetericyn (Petco shockingly) and it took awhile, but she seems to have completely recovered. Blessings (and health!) to all :)

Back
Top Bottom